Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,684   Online: 730

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

A genious way of packing and carying a monorail?

Hi all
    Now I have this Sinar Id like to take it out shooting.
    Anyone found a genious way of packing and carying a monorail camera lenses and filmholder?
    Should I get some lenscaps for my lenses?
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Lenscaps - absolutely. Impossible to pack lenses without these and avoid damage.

One of the most compact ways to carry camera gear is to buy padded stuff sacks (I have several of the "Gara Gear" brand) and partially dismantle your camera and put the parts in the sacks. In the case of a monorail, you could leave the front and rear standards together, even leave the lens on (with a cap), but remove the monorail and rail clamp. The camera would then go into a normal rucksack inside the padded bag, you might even not need another bag for the rail and clamp. Beware of filmholders - any point loading on the darkslides (sheaths) and they will break. When I was shooting 4x5", I bough a padded bag from the "Mother & Baby" section of a supermarket which cost about £6.99 and held six filmholders.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't remember if your snag haul included a six inch rail or not, but if you don't have one, get one. Then you just compress everything onto the short rail, wrap it in your darkcloth and stow it in any convenient bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use to use a camping cooler which I had lined with foam blocks for support. It keeps everything from extreme temps and was pretty easy to carry with one big handle on top and the top made a great table too. It was probably not the best solution but worked quite well for me.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a monorail camera. For storage and basic transport I use a duffle bag with foam in the bottom. For shooting the camera stays on the tripod which I carry over my shoulder and I carry film holders and lenses in a small camera bag. This arrangement works well for me, for anything up to a few Km of walking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    I can't remember if your snag haul included a six inch rail or not, but if you don't have one, get one. Then you just compress everything onto the short rail, wrap it in your darkcloth and stow it in any convenient bag.
    It came with a 30cm rail as the shortest one so the 15cm is on my wishlist.
    Darkcloth? Wishlist too For the moment I use a slazenger raincoat but I guess I have to make something more apropriate.
    Ill be carying it in wideangle mode with the 90mm and 150mm + 4-8 dd, Minolta spotmeter F and a Mannfrotto 055 tripod.
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Compressing it on a short rail is the sturdiest and most compact method--best for a backpack.

Another alternative that works well with a shoulder bag is to unclip the bellows from one side and fold the standard all the way in, parallel to the rail. Raise the other standard and fold it over the standard that is already folded down with the bellows in the middle.

In a flat case like a briefcase, unclip the bellows from one side and swing both standards so that the standards and rail are all in a single plane.

This all assumes you're using an F/1/2, A, or Alpina.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those who try to do this with a Toyo or Omega monorail, getting a short (like just a few inches) rail to allow it to fit in a bag or backpack is a problem. What works for me is a cut-to-size piece of PVC pipe (1.5") wrapped with a piece of packing tape ('cause it's smoother than duck tape) to bring it up to the equivalent metric diameter, I remove the regular rail, and insert the PVC in the standards and tripod hole to keep the camera together, and the rail fits nicely alongside the the camera.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Søren
    Have a look at this pict :
    http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3955/normawebrz7.jpg
    It's form a French photographer using it's Norma 8x10 in the filed packed in a Decathlon rope backpack (for people climbing...) to pack it up.
    The backpack is nice, cost about 50 € and has a removable sheet of plastic which is usefull to lay on the grass before unpacking cable releases or filters... Last but not least, it open from the back, so you won't put the part which goes on your back into the mud or wet grass....
    I own one, just missing the 8x10 Norma back and bellows ;-)
    P.S. the lens case is made from plywood glued and nailed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesGiralt View Post
    Hi Søren
    Have a look at this pict :
    http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3955/normawebrz7.jpg
    It's form a French photographer using it's Norma 8x10 in the filed packed in a Decathlon rope backpack (for people climbing...) to pack it up.
    The backpack is nice, cost about 50 € and has a removable sheet of plastic which is usefull to lay on the grass before unpacking cable releases or filters... Last but not least, it open from the back, so you won't put the part which goes on your back into the mud or wet grass....
    I own one, just missing the 8x10 Norma back and bellows ;-)
    P.S. the lens case is made from plywood glued and nailed.
    This is basically the same format I use to carry around my Cambo outfit albiet 5x4. I only have the 30cm rail which fits nicely into the case top. My carry case also has two pockets on the outside for my spot meter and loupe. Darkcloth goes inside between the standards. I also can get around six holders in.

Other benefits are it has wheels and backpack straps

Phill

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin