Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,858   Online: 1090

Shooter
    Multi Format

Focal Length Help

So I took an 80mm Rodenstock Heligon off of a Graflex XL and mounted it onto a recessed lens board for my 4x5 monorail. For anyone not familiar with the XL, this lens was built for 6x9 (2.25 x 3.25). Wider than f.11 or so I start noticeably losing full coverage. I'm having a total brain fart tonight. Can anyone please tell me how to figure out (or just tell me) what the effective focal length of this lens is on my 4x5?

Thanks.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The effective focal length is 80mm, on any camera and film size.

Since there are so many different film sizes in LF it is far easier to think in terms of angle of view, and forget everything about focal length "conversion".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alright, but you know what I'm after. I know the lens is still an 80mm lens, no matter what camera it's on. I'm asking what focal length 4x5 lens would yield the same angle of view...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbloom View Post
    Alright, but you know what I'm after. I know the lens is still an 80mm lens, no matter what camera it's on. I'm asking what focal length 4x5 lens would yield the same angle of view...
    There are 80mm lenses that will cover 4x5, just not the one you have. But..you want the same angle of view on 4x5 that the 80mm lens gives on roll film on the Graflex XL?

I would say a lens in the 135-150mm focal length should be about right...but make sure it is designed to cover 4x5.
    Last edited by PHOTOTONE; 11-08-2007 at 02:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Am I just being really stupid? Is it just an 80mm lens no matter what? I feel for some reason like the field of view of this lens on my 4x5 is wider than the field of view of an 80mm lens built specifically to cover 4x5.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A 80mm Super-Symmar XL will give the same angle of view on the 4x5" as the 80mm you have, but without the vignetting. At the opposite end of the price range, so would a 3 1/4" WA Rectilinear (which is what I use in that focal length).

The field of view would be exactly the same - believe me, I have tried about 20 different 150mm lenses on all film sizes from 9x12cm to 24x30cm, and they all have the same angle of view to within a 1% tolerance!
    Last edited by Ole; 11-08-2007 at 03:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Question was rephrased while I was typing
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think perhaps my brain is just not working today.

And do ordinary 80mm 4x5 lenses typically require recessed boards?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbloom View Post
    And do ordinary 80mm 4x5 lenses typically require recessed boards?
    That would depend on the camera, not the focal length of the lens. None of my cameras need a recessed board to focus a 80mm lens at infinity, but one I used to have needed it from about 100mm and down.
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To expand on Ole's comment a little bit, it depends on how much you can compress the bellows. Several camera makers offer "bag" bellows that don't have accordian folds for working with short focal length lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well this is on an orbit. It's not bellows compression, but the fact that the standards collide before I hit infinity.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin