Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,243   Posts: 1,680,122   Online: 729

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Staining a Bleached Negative

Tried this thread in the B&W section and got no replies.Thought I would try it here. Could be a dumb question or maybe I worded it poorly.

I have an 8x10 negative with an overexposed area that I would like to selectively bleach. I have done selective bleaching on prints but never tried it on a negative.

Have accumulated the materials I need (ferrocyanide, brushes, etc.) and am ready to begin. The negative was originally processed in PMK pyro. My question is: should the negative be re-stained after the bleaching process?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I have never done this, but it seems logical that re-staining would be necessary. I believe the bleach would remove the stain rather quickly. I also wonder if the re-staining will cause the stain to be even across the negative. I doubt that it would.
    Good luck. I will be interested in your results.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about the stain, in another thread gainer was talking about the bleach/redevelop method of post staining negs and said the stain remains after the bleaching. Just be really careful not to overdo the process.
    Look for the thread elsewhere, it's current.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I bleach quite often my 8x10" negatives developed in ABC Pyro and I don't stain them after bleaching. No visible difference with the non bleached part.
    If you bleach all the silver part of a negative you will still have an image made by stain part and it will print.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for the advice and information. I think I will try the bleaching but first on a negative I have no intention of printing.

Thanks again,
    dennisl

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin