Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,124   Online: 796

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fixing 8x10 Kodak/graflex holders

Hi All,

I'm in need of fixing some 8x10 graflex/kodak holders, and remember reading that some of you 'specialize' in these. I checked them w paper and found some leak from the darkslide, so need felt replacement. I bought some black felt, but am not sure how to remove the old one properly. Can you just cut it along the edge and somehow attach the new one on top, instead of prying open the 'clamp' and inserting the new felt?
    Also, one of them has a broken flap, and I was hoping someone may have an extra one you can part with, for a fee. I just hate to see them not getting used when something small gets broken. I tried gluing it, but it's not gonna hold.
    Thanks for any help,

GB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the light traps are screwed together, you might be able to fix them yourself, but certainly someone like Richard Ritter could do it. If they're nailed/glued together, things get a little more dicey, and you might be better off looking for better used holders rather than risking possible damage trying to get them apart.

It's always been tough when repairs cost more than the item is worth. You can either pay for the repair or get a new or used holder in good condition and shelve the old one for parts. But maybe someone will have a flap for you and it will fit.

Cheers,

Steve

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Steve,

These are the type where the top screws right off, which makes it easy to access the light trap. My problem is w how to replace the felt once inside, as it sits within a metal trap. I can just cut off the old felt, but am unsure how to attach the new one. I'm sure someone out there has done this many times.

GB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Double faced tape or contact cement should work.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The felt on those, and most other holders, is wrapped around a flexible, springy strip, sometimes made out of celluloid. The end of this felt sandwitch is retained by a metal piece that is glued to the holder. The felt needs to have some spring to it to take up the space left when the darkslide is removed. So, if you cut off the old felt, and only do this if the felt has holes or such, be sure to retain the springy piece inside to attach new felt to.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Phototone,

Have you done this before? There's a metal comb wrapped in a piece of cellulose and around that goes the felt, all held in place by the metal vise. If I cut off the old felt, to what can I glue a new one? I'm having a hard time wfiguring this one out, and am sure I read somewhere about someone who's done this before.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin