Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,025   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

90 mm Lens for 4x5

Ok, I have been searching for a 90 mm for my 4x5 for a few months now. I have seen Fujinon F8, Super Angulon F8 and Super Angulon F6.8.

Can anyone help me understand the quality differences? The prices on Ebay and at the local shop seem to be all over the map. I have no idea which of these have the best quality.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgallb View Post
    Ok, I have been searching for a 90 mm for my 4x5 for a few months now. I have seen Fujinon F8, Super Angulon F8 and Super Angulon F6.8.

Can anyone help me understand the quality differences? The prices on Ebay and at the local shop seem to be all over the map. I have no idea which of these have the best quality.
    NOT Angulon (not Super) f/6.8 unless you want effectively no movement and to use the lens only at f/16 or below. Many sellers (?deliberately) confuse Angulons and Super Angulons.

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Price will depend on age, i.e. in ascending order (for Schneider):
    f6.8 Angulon, f8 Super Angulon, f5.6 Super Angulon, f6.8 Super Angulon, f5.6 Super Angulon XL.
    Other makes around the same for a lens of the same specification and age, Differences between modern lenses are marginal in comparison with the difference between these and an f6.8 Angulon (basically a 1930s design) but more modern designs have slightly higher contrast and coverage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi there

you can check the age of any schneider lens
    through the serial number and going to their website: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...nses/index.htm

i have a schneider super anguolon ( 90mm ) chrome barrel.
    it was bought through keh, and was listed as "bargain"
    it was not very expensive, and while listed as bargain it was like new

i found it to be a good experience buying through keh, they are a known quanitity,
    and actually have a return policy. eBoo sellers often times don't know
    (or do they?? ) what they are selling and shrug-their-shoulders sometimes
    if there is a problem with items sold. you can also use them (keh) to check prices
    for good used equipment. they are one of the largest used camera stores around.

as for differences between the lenses --- as mentioned that angulons do not
    really cover a 4x5 sheet, super angulons do with ease ( with movements ).
    i haven't used/ seen the fuji you mention, but you might want to widen your net a little bit ...
    wollensak made 90mm lenses, both the raptar and a 3 1/2 " exwa
    both wollensak lenses are tiny and gave me very good coverage. while i sold them
    several years ago, i wish i still had them, they were great.

good luck!
    john

ps.
    whoops!
    should have said "do not cover a 4x5 sheet with lots of room "
    Last edited by jnanian; 11-14-2007 at 06:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

90mm (regular) Angulon covers 5x7, just.

I don't know where you get the idea that the "regular" Angulons (not the Super-Angulons) don't cover 4x5, as they most certainly do, and they also cover 5x7 without much movements. Here is a scan from a 5x7 b/w negative, showing full image area. It starts to get soft at the corners, but is still quite useable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mayes3span5x7_1.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I don't know where you get the idea that the "regular" Angulons (not the Super-Angulons) don't cover 4x5...
    From trying it. Sure, you can't tell when a cloud is out of focus. You get about 1cm of movement, as I recall, which would just give you 5x7 with soft corners. The difference between circle of illumination and circle of sharp coverage is greater with an Angulon than with a Super Angulon.

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was looking for a 90mm Super Angulon for several months, seriously, but the prices were all over the place, so I gave up. I'll just be satified with a 100mm 150mm and 210 Schneider set.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There's also the Rodenstock Grandagon (sorry is spelling is wrong) I have a 90mm f/6.8 Calumet Caltar II-N which I believe is a re-branded Rodenstock - less expensive than the Rodenstock even though it's the same lens. Has plenty of coverage for 4x5 - more than my Schneider 135mm f/5.6 Sironar-S

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There is a person selling a nice 90mm Super Angulon f8 for $150 right now on this forum in the classifieds on page 2 of the camera and lens section. He started out at $200, then dropped the price. Do you guys ever check the ads? I have three, so I don't need one.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use both a 90mm f:6.8 Angulon and a 90mm f:8 Super Angulon.

The Angulon gets used if I need to carry it (along with xxx other lenses) and if I don't expect to need lots of movements - it DOES allow movements on 4x5"! The SA gets more use on 5x7" than on 4x5" - very little movements on 5x7", lots on 4x5".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin