Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,704   Posts: 1,548,474   Online: 866

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice Fast Lens

That's what I need...a good Raptar. So if I get hungry when I'm out with the lens, the Raptar can go kill something and bring it back...

Seriously, I was looking at Ektars and others at Samy's in Hollyweird today, and noticed that most are in Graphic or Acme shutters, and look pretty old. Are these shutters good? Are the lenses easily put in newer shutters, or is that even really an issue with a standard used Raptar or Ektar?

dgh
    David G Hall

I've got a typical press lens--a 127mm f4.7 Ektar in a supermatic shutter. No room for movements, but its a nice lens when hooked up to a Crown or Speed Graphic. If you set the infinity stops correctly you can get great results with the sports finder ( which is what I need when shooting my 3 & 4 year olds) Cruise through the boards at www.graflex.org and you'll get a lot of info on these lenses.

Some additional info: Check out Mike's Place which is linked to www.equinoxphotographic.com for press lenses. I got mine in a supermatic last year for I think 70-80 bucks. As for shutters, SK Grimes & Fred Lustig (who is THE Graflex Guru) can probably handle anything that needs doing. FWIW on SK Grimes website, he speaks rather highly of the Kodak Supermatics and Ilex Acmes and Universals. Check out www.skgrimes.com/classshut/index.htm for more info. Fred Lustig, I understand, has parts for fixing the more esoteric press shutters out there. Have fun!

Old shutters are well old. I wouldn't count them to be 100% perfect but then some people claim brand new shutters aren't 100% either. If you're able to test the thing out then that will give you an idea. Likely the speeds will be off but if they are constant then that's okay. How hard a new shutter will be depends on which shutter you need. Those real big ones aren't made anymore. Neither are the #2. Best person to ask about new shutters and old ones is somebody like Skgrimes.

www.skgrimes.com

I have a 1960's compur. It needs to be warmed up some or the slow speeds are real slow. Fire it a few times and they get closer. They are still slower then they should be but reasonable.

Let me make sure I understand...

Olde shutters' speeds will probably be off, but will be consistently off for each lens. So if a shutter's one second speed is really two seconds, it will usually be two seconds?

dgh
    David G Hall

Maybe-)) You really need to check the shutter. My old compur starts out the day at about 3seconds when set for 1second. Fire it about 5 or so times and the shutter is at about 1.5 seconds and constant. I bought an old 35mm last fall. When I got it 1 second was closer to 5 seconds. Spent some time watching TV firing the shutter and now the speeds are alot closer to proper. Not perfect but steady. Obviously the best thing would be a CLA but it does work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    David,
    In regard to your question about shutter timing inconsistencies being consistent, (whoa!!! that even twisted my brain into a pretzel for a bit!!&#33, I have heard others post that even with a CLA that when the shutter timing was adjusted it soon returned to it's predisposed timing. (Sounds like a female trait to me). I don't know that to be true, just what I have heard. So a number of photographers simply test their shutter speeds and then note the actual timing for consideration when exposing film.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A full CLA will help the shutter operate at consistent times; you won't have to click the shutter a few times to make the lubricant fluid again...

The "A" in "CLA" should stand for "Adjust". It quite often means "Assemble". I just got hold of a repair manual for Compur shutters through eBay, so I'll now try to CLA the worst one of mine. It starts off at about 15s on the 1s setting, then speeds up depending on use, temperature and (probably) mood. After a few clicks the 1s is about 2, the 1/10s is around 1/2s, and the 1/200s is spot on!

On the other hand, I have a 300mm f:4.5 Xenar in a Compound #5 shutter which is within 10% at all times (I had it measured). At around 1kg the lens is a bit heavy, so I don't bring it unless I also bring the 5x7" Technika (7kg). That combination really precludes walking, so I bring a 121mm S.Angulon as well...

For travelling light, I have a Voigtländer Bergheil 9x13cm plate camera, with three film inserts. Total weight (including 150mm Heliar) - less than the 300mm lens alone
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    David, Speaking of press type lenses, there is a 133 mm Goerz Dogmar F4.5 lens listed on E*** . Item number is 2921009422. Supposedly an apo lens and very sharp even wide open. Will cover 4X5.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin