Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,007   Online: 773

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    thnx for the explanation John

an interesting concept

a further question if i may, does this process save the subject from demolition, or is it a record of what is, or may be, lost?
    hi ray

usually the images are like "last rites" before a
    structure or place is removed or altered completely.
    typically, unless the government is doing this sort of thing to a "national treasure"
    -- like in pawtucket rhode island several years ago there was a habs recordation
    of the slater mill, the birthplace of the american industrial revolution ...
    unlike the documentation of the mill, which was a not because the owners
    wanted to do anything diverse with the propert ( it's a museum )
    most documentations are a "requirement" that the developer or property
    owner has to do.

i think you might be able to search
    parts of the collection here: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/hhquery.html
    Last edited by jnanian; 11-23-2007 at 08:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Just took a look at this org website. Very neat. I found some neat aerial views of my ("womens") college and the associated taverns.
    This is good info all around. Thanks John et al.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess my question is... How do you find out if a local treasure is on this list? If not, how do you get it on the list?

I have got the 4x5 and/or 5x7, the paper, and maybe one of these days, the time. I would like to ensure that the notable houses in my 'hood, including a Bernard Maybeck, and the original farm house of Brig. Gen. Henry M. Naglee are somehow documented as habs/haer examples.

tim in san jose
    Last edited by k_jupiter; 11-23-2007 at 01:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: speling of corse
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    I guess my question is... How do you find out if a local treasure is on this list? If not, how do you get it on the list?

I have got the 4x5 and/or 5x7, the paper, and maybe one of these days, the time. I would like to ensure that the notable houses in my 'hood, including a Bernard Maybeck, and the original farm house of Brig. Gen. Henry M. Naglee are somehow documented as habs/haer examples.

tim in san jose
    Contact your state's historic preservation office and ask to be put on a list of contractors / photographers. Get involved in local historic societies or groups. Have the NPS send out publications showing what they want for images and documentation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

tim in san jose
    hey tim

you can call the habs office in your region and ask if it is on the list (national list)
    they are super-nice and call your local government and ask someone in
    the planning department, if they are on the "local list"
    ( the historic preservation people are sometimes hiding out with planners )
    you can always document them on your own and submit the film and prints to the state, they like that
    don't forget to include a sheet of discriptions of your views
    and a site plan/sketch showing where you were standing ...

good luck!

john

Shooter
    Large Format

Fuji Acros 4x5 is on polyester base

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, Fuji Acros is in fact on a Polyester base and it is acceptable by HABS. The photographers at the National Park service had the same problem with the Fuji Staff not knowing their own film but also eventually came to the same conclusions, after doing research in Japanese. In cold storage with proper washing it should last over 500 years. You can see my HABS work on my website www.habsphoto.com most was shot on the Fuji Quickloads for ease of transport and lack of dust.

-Schaf

Stephen Schafer
    Architectural and Documentary Photography
    www.habsphoto.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format

tim in san jose
    If you looking at doing one, bear in mind that I did the darkroom part of one of these projects for a closed mental institution in Kentucky. There were over 2000 negatives to process and contact and the HABS people weren't sure it would be enough. It can be a lot of work. And they don't care about artistic license, they want nuts and bolts documentation. On the other hand, some people enjoy doing them very much.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This may be a very ignorant question, but why isn't this sort of work done with photogrammetry equipment so that measurements & digital modeling can be done directly from the negatives?

Shooter
    Large Format
    HABS is done with Photogrammetry and measured drawings as well as 4x5 or 5x7 film. The photographic film views are a part of the overall documentation. The program was started in 1933, before photogrammetry, but today it all works together to create a overall record of the site.

-Stephen Schafer
    www.habsphoto.com

bgh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Stephen--

I too do HABS/HAER level photography, with 4x5, though I come at it from a background as a historian, not a photography background. I took a look at your site--very nice stuff indeed!

Bruce

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin