Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,592   Online: 917

Shooter
    Multi Format

Grafmatics and the night wobbles

In the past I have experienced issues with 4x5 film moving within the holder during long (~20 min.) exposures on damp nights (holder tapping or not, camera usually dead level). (typ. Fidelity/Lisco holders)

I've recently acquired a couple of Grafmatic holders and before heading out in the dark, I thought I'd ask if anybody has experienced film movement (shifting, buckling, etc.) with them during long time exposures?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Swinnard View Post
    In the past I have experienced issues with 4x5 film moving within the holder during long (~20 min.) exposures on damp nights (holder tapping or not, camera usually dead level). (typ. Fidelity/Lisco holders)

I've recently acquired a couple of Grafmatic holders and before heading out in the dark, I thought I'd ask if anybody has experienced film movement (shifting, buckling, etc.) with them during long time exposures?
    In a properly adjusted Grafmatic, the film septums actually exert a little "grip" on the film, so I would think it would be less likely for the film to shift around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    In a properly adjusted Grafmatic, the film septums actually exert a little "grip" on the film, so I would think it would be less likely for the film to shift around.
    Ok, being new the world of the Grafmatic holders, I have to ask about your comment "properly adjusted"... What constitutes properly adjusted? Straight septums I can see, but have I missed something?

Dave (and confused)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    At the end of the channels that the film slides into is a tab that grips the film. If the tab has been bent upwards slightly then in won't do that anymore. 4x5 is stiff enough that it should be enough to stop any sort of sag as well as movement.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The bottom end of the channels the film slides into in the septums is crimped a little bit to grip the film. Thru age, this crimp can become loose. If you look closely you can see these crimps, and thru the delicate use of a pair of pliers you can apply a little more crimp if the film sheets slide out without friction.
    Prmiarily you will find that it is possible for a sheet to partially slide out, when you transport the grafmatics, and then when you go to use them, you end up bending, scratching or crumpling a sheet of film that has partially slid out of the septum.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Film holders not only keep light out, they also are rather effective in maintaining the same air quality as when loaded.
    When photographing at night, especially on a humid one, it is necessary to open the dark slide, regardless of the holder, and let the film acclimate for about 5 minutes. This allows the film to pop before, rather than during the exposure.
    This is a practice I learned from Ray McSavaney several years ago. Since that timeIhave never had the problem with film movement (popping).
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think the longest exposure I've every tried with a grafmatic holder is about 15-20 minutes, and I didn't have any problems. As one poster mentioned above, as long as the septums have at least a little grip on the film, you'll be fine.

Of course, let the film adjust to the outside temperature to lessen the chance of popping; just to be sure....
    Cheers!

-klm.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin