Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,518   Online: 777

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Thorton Pickard Shutters - Got Shakes

I have read about rebuilding and mounting these shutters, but how well do they work in real life? I was wondering if the sudden start and sudden stop of the shutter cause shakes that effect the sharpness of the image.
    Thank you for sharing your experience!
    Robert

I put this in the wrong section - meant it to go in the LF not ULF, Sorry!
    Last edited by rknewcomb; 11-24-2007 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I put in wrong place.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Moved.

The "sudden start and sudden stop" is not a problem, as the shaking occurs before the shutter is opened and after it is closed. Admittedly I haven't used mine much, but it seems to be a very well though-out piece of equipment.

The only lens(es) I use mine with is a Busch (?) Vade Mecum casket set, and the resulting negatives certainly don't seem to be any softer than when I use the same lens(es) on a Speed Graphic.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Graflex shutter operates in the same manner and is HUGE compare to a T-P. I haven't experienced any noticable problems, either hand-held or on a properly-sized tripod.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin