Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,548   Posts: 1,573,039   Online: 824

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Packard shutter/filter holder

I posted this at the LF photographers site and I thought I would post it here also. I got this idea from Tri Tran when we met at the Disney concert hall for the ULF shootout. He gave me the idea for an adjustable flange with a filter holder for a front mounted Packard shutter. I have to get the T-nuts that screw in so when I tighten everything down it does not pull out. It is not that hard to make. I do need to make a sock type thing to cover the back of the lens when I use one that is smaller than the diameter of the opening in the Packard. The nice thing is that I can use this for all of my 8x10 and 8x20 lenses.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 11-02-2008 at 01:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple questions...
    When you don't have a filter in there, do you just back the lens up to the back of the Packard Shutter?
    Nice looking gizmo. How much weight does it put on your lens board and front standard?
    I have a 12" JML Plasmat type lens. Any thoughts about vignetting with this setup and that lens?
    What size is the opening in the Packard?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tim, this is on my 360 Gerogon on the 8x20. I does not look like it will cause any vignetting but I have not shot with it yet. The nice thing about this is you can shoot with or without a filter. I have to put a dark sock, if you will, over the lens to keep stray light from getting in the back. I can adjust it for just about any of my lenses without a shutter. I'm going to use it for the 8x10 and 8x20 systems and I will make one for the 4x5 and 5x7 systems also. The Packard has the 3" opening and it adds about 14 oz. to the front.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flippin' sweet!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Tim, this is on my 360 Gerogon on the 8x20. I does not look like it will cause any vignetting but I have not shot with it yet. The nice thing about this is you can shoot with or without a filter. I have to put a dark sock, if you will, over the lens to keep stray light from getting in the back. I can adjust it for just about any of my lenses without a shutter. I'm going to use it for the 8x10 and 8x20 systems and I will make one for the 4x5 and 5x7 systems also. The Packard has the 3" opening and it adds about 14 oz. to the front.

Jim
    Thanks for the observations. I thinks I will have to get back in the woodshop and do some empirical testing. Great ideas though.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin