Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,937   Online: 934

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Ouch, that hurt!

I have a few public thank yous to say after a near disaster this weekend.

Navigating across a beach in Dorset I stepped on a rock that was more slippery than it looked – and suddenly ended up flat on my back with my bum two feet below where my feet had been! My Ebony 10x8, which had been folded up on a tripod over my shoulder, was somewhere in the rocks behind me… And I’d heard the smashing sound when it hit the granite…

Although at first glance it seemed like a write-off (with more exotic movements than an eBay advert), much to my surprise and relief the only significant damage was a couple of ounces of wood shaved off several edges and a bent titanium bracket (which was easily bent back again). Even the ground glass was unbroken! I’m certain that my old Deardorff would have been just so much matchwood, and any of the various MF cameras I’ve owned would likewise have been history.

So my first thank you is to Sakanashi-san for designing a bombproof camera. My second is to Manfrotto for their 400 head whose quick release plate didn’t unlock even though a lesser one would have failed. And my third is to Baxter Bradford who kindly lent me some string to tie the sole of my boot back on so I could limp the mile or so back to base…

Hopefully the photos will be worth the pain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian

Now you understand why you spend quality time in the studio. Glad to hear it had a 'happy' ending

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like this expedition did not turn out exactly as you planned it.

I am glad that it came out as well as it did.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm sure you will have some residual aches and pains but I'm glad to hear nothing was broken.

After seeing several cameras get smashed while being carried on a tripod I always pack my stuff up into my backpack when I move shooting locations.

Mind you I am using a 4x5 which is easier to pack up, but there must be a quick method you could use.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I always do the camera + tripod over the shoulder hike. Maybe time to reconsider taking a bit of extra time (except if the light's wicked and changing quick, of course!).
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ouch sounds like an understatement! I'm glad that neither you nor the camera was badly damaged. Watch those rocks...

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ouch indeed - glad no harm done. And I bet at the time you were more worried about your camera than your foot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My camera (and LENS(ES)) is always stowed safely in it's pack when I'm moving more than a few feet. Anyone that hikes knows that it isn't "if" you fall, it's "when" you fall, because you WILL fall sooner or later. Where do you want the camera and lens to be?

Cheers,

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    good to hear that there was limited damage and hope you will fully recover quickly...

Miles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The audible crack was far too loud for comfort. Perhaps not nearly so loud as that which the beach experiences when subjected to Army firing exercises, but nevertheless one which I am not keen to hear repeated.

That the damage was minor, as Ian has described, is indeed a credit to the wonderful construction of the camera and tripod. Personally, I was more relieved to see Ian able to move as I hurried across the rocks to assist.

A short length of Spectra/Dyneema in the camera bag takes up next to no space adding negligible weight. Usually reserved for tripod stability in strong winds, it soon provided a short term solution to the ripped boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin