Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,430   Online: 912

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grafmatic Backs

Aggie

I use mine under a spring back of a Linhof IV. They work well on the Linhof but I also have a Busch Pressman and they won't work at all on that camera as the spring back is too tight and it doesn't have a grafloc back. So I guess the answer is, it depends.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I too wish to know the mystery of the Grafmatic. Serious strange stuff. I can figure out how my PC works, but technology from the 1950s baffles me....

I have heard that the rule of thumb for Grafmatics is that if you can fit a roll-film holder under your ground glass, you can fit a Grafmatic. I have no idea if this is TRUE or not, but it seems like it would be.

Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You need an inch of clearance under the groundglass to fit a Grafmatic. If you don't have enough room, it may be possible to add washers or spacers or a larger spring to the back to accommodate a Grafmatic without compromising the spring pressure for regular filmholders.

Here's how they work. You've got six septums in a box covered by a darkslide, and that box slides in and out of a larger box that remains stationary in the camera. When you're ready to expose a sheet, you pull the darkslide and push it back in. The septums are under spring tension, so the darkslide automatically slides under the top septum and in the process moves a small metal piece to reveal a red dot, showing that the film is ready, and you shouldn't remove the holder from the camera, or you will expose the sheet. You take the picture. Now you pull out the inner box, but the top sheet remains inside the larger box, inside the camera, and the darkslide is now on top of the stack, so that the new sheet on top of the stack is not exposed when the inner box is pulled out of the camera. Springs push the top sheet to the back of the holder, and you push the box back in, so it goes on top of the exposed sheet, which is now at the bottom of the stack, advancing the frame counter in the process.

It sounds complicated, but it's ingeniously simple, and once you get the hang of it, you can shoot at the blazing speed of 1 fps with your 4x5" camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You could just call Wisner and ask if the back will take a Grafmatic. They should know. I would bet that a Wisner would. They are very well thought-out cameras.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Truer words have not been spoken...
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Richard Boulware @ Apr 17 2003, 03:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The Graphmatic film holder is a wonderful piece of gear, but does not suffer fools gladly. The key is positive and easy loading. FORCE NOTHING....and constantly eyeball your individual septums. A bent septum will not only throw your focus off, but could screw up your push/pull operation.</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>

Bent septums can jam, scratch emulsion and if you force it it will bend more. Every once in a while you may wish to invert (opening towards the ground) and run the film holder through all six septums. Inverted or tilted downward (where gravity can get at it) is when bent septums and weak side springs are most noticable.
    I love my grafmatics. I wish they were still made.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Eric: You SUCK&#33;

(inside joke folks).
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One thing I might add to this very fine post is not to forget to vacuum them out before reloading them. Like regular film holders, they get dust inside. I have a bunchof them and they are all pretty worn. I have had to gently squeeze the sides so they will still grab the film. I have been pretty successful in keeping them flat. I have one with a broken spring that I repaired with epoxy - It lasted through five reloads. I&#39;ll fix it again. If you only shoot a few and want to develop and reload the ones you shot - just remember that they are the ones on the bottom of the stack. I have done this several times and it worked fine. I can&#39;t get up to 1FPS with mine. Slow and carefull is the key - I listen carefully to the sound of the front septum shuffling to the back. You get used to the sound. A rapid shuffle is a good way to bend and malfunction. I lost a pack of color sheets in one from being to quick with it. A &#036;12 lesson. I gently push on the groundglass to be shure not to let the pack shift while advancing the next frame. - They are certainly worth the effort though&#33; - Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just won a Grafmatic back on Ebay for &#036;47. There seems to be quite a few Graphmatics up for bid lately. Thanks for letting me in on the neat peice of equipment&#33;
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There a very large number of Grafmatics on Ebay right now, one even has 45 septums included. If you are needing septums this would be a good oportunity.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15247
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin