Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,907   Posts: 1,521,426   Online: 1076

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grafmatic Backs

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just received my 3 Grafmatic backs. I'm so excited! Does anyone who uses these little babies have any helpful hints they would like to pass along?

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Download the instruction manual from www.graflex.org.

One thing I've notices is that some lock automatically when the counter is on "x" and some earlier ones (or later ones with the locking pin mysteriously removed) don't lock automatically after the 6th sheet. If yours don't lock, just be careful to remove the holder from the camera by the body, rather than by the handle, so that you don't inadvertantly expose the edges of the sheets at the bottom of the stack.

You can slip them under the groundglass if you have enough clearance, but I find that if I'm not in a hurry, I remove the groundglass and use the Graflok slides to avoid moving the camera.

Grafmatics are great for studio portraits. Just be sure you've got enough light so that you can stop down so the subject won't move out of the DOF range, and it's just like using rollfilm.

Inspect the septums for flatness. If you have one that's bent, you'll have focus problems.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

I love my Graphmatics.

Look at that site David gave you, it is the best info available. The only advise I can give that David hasn't is to practice with them in camera and if you don't lock them on with the Graflocks you should learn to move the film changing drawer without pulling away from the camera back.

I found that I had to ALWAYS use my hand too hold the Graphmatic tight to the camera to keep from allowing light leaks. It is very easy to pull back on the film drawer when shuffling to next film sheet.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. I've been practising. One of the backs came with film in it. To bad I dodn't know before I started messing around. Hey 6 sheets of free mystery film I could have had.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

The Graphmatic film holder is a wonderful piece of gear, but does not suffer fools gladly. The key is positive and easy loading. FORCE NOTHING....and constantly eyeball your individual septums. A bent septum will not only throw your focus off, but could screw up your push/pull operation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, I've been reading this for a week and I still have no clue what a Graphmatic is, never seen one, don't know what it smells like. Anyone care to give me a technical overview? If they are that good I might get one.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've read the instructions on the recommended site, how the heck does it change the film around?
    Gary Beasley

I've got six of them and have watched it work many times and am still not sure how it works. But I don't understand focal plane shutters, light meters, sewing machines, computers....................

But it does work and work well for me. Others have had a lot less luck than I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    yes, mine will work in my wood field camera. they are just a bit thicker than a regular holder.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin