Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,730   Posts: 1,515,254   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Excited about Crown Graphic!

My first LF camera was a Crown Graphic. I sold it 9 long months ago and almost instantly began to suffer seller's remorse. Tonight, I scored another one at a fair price and I'm ecstatic!

It's a side range finder model with a Kodak Ektar mounted in an old Supermatic-x shutter (are these any good?) and comes with a whole sh*t load (that's a physics term) of extras -- film holders, a fancy case, a graphlite, synch cords and even some flash bulbs!

I can't wait to get back to the big point and shoot!

(End Jovial Rant)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know exactly what you mean! I had a Crown Graphic - took it to France for a trip and then sold it. Not sure why!

It was an excellent camera and certainly a good talking point - Whenever I got the camera out people would look and smile. The question I got asked most was whether I was a press photographer!

I think I'll keep an eye out for a baby Graphic.

Cheers,
    Simon

IIRC, SK Grimes thought the supermatics to be as good as modern copals.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Awesome! I love graphics. I've a near mint crown w/ top-rf that was given to me by a good friend. He was given several back in the 70s when a local police dept. was moving to nikons. It's fantastic as a handheld camera, I use the graflite w/ regular vivitar flash attached to the top. It's pretty fun! Also have a speed w/ side-rf and have calibrated it to an aero ektar that I own. I realized that using a laser pointer, or versalab parallel (or similar device) through the cover where the kalart focuspot goes is probably the easiest way to calibrate these things.

I've been having a dream where a small laser module replaced the lightbulb in the top-rf for the ultimate in accuracy. Oh well.
    Congratulations on the new camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hope you have lots of fun with it! I have shot with a Speed Graphic since the early seventies, which my father bought in 1951.
    Mine has a side mounted Kalart rangefinder, that is remarkablely accurate, although for the last number of years, I've usually used the groundglass.
    It has a 127mm Ektar, with Supermatic shutter that is good and has been extremely trouble free. Much better in the corners when closed down a few stops though, at least mine is.
    Keith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a crown that I bought in the early 70's must have run a thousand negatives through it over the years. Much lighter than my speed. The standard lens is a 127 ektar, not bad but will cover when using front rise. have been looking for a Bush Pressman as well.

JCT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to stop reading these threads -- I have a 2x3 Speed that I love to fiddle with, would *really* like to get a Crown one of these days.

Sigh.

JT

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah. I have a really nice Crown Graphic I bought from some dude on APUG.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    He, he, he...yeah. I promse, I'm gonna stop bugging you to sell it back to me now too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Crown is the thing that got me on the slippery slope of LF ! I think it's near perfect, apart from the non-rotating back. I now have a Tachi 8x10 and a... Chamonix 45 on the way for xmas
    I will reconvert the Crown to handheld duties when I get the Chamonix. Grafmatic + HP5, here we go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin