Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,225   Online: 912

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe I should start a new thread but does anyone have any first hand experience with the Geronar 300mm by Rodenstock? I have the 210mm and 150mm Geronar's and find them just fine. Any of you that got my first post card will see the 150 is a fine lens.

Yours thoughts would be appreciated.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Images
    David,

I have been using the 305 G-Claron on 8x10 for four months or so. It is similar in size to a 210 f5.6.

To my eyes the G-Claron is very sharp. It is not too big for me, and has so much coverage that it has not even been a consideration for me when making movements, a real luxury. I let the lensboard rise and fall at will. I like the modern shutter, especially when shooting fast film like HP5+. I also considered the 12" Dagor, as I use a 9-1/2" Dagor mounted in a shutter, also excellent.

With the G-Claron, I definitely notice flare in situations where the light has a low angle of reflectance, such as photographing down at a sandy beach, with the sun beyond. Or on a highly specular day with the light bouncing all over, off of the clouds and everything else. I don't know how much better a multi-coated lens would be at handling this, however.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have 2 Multicoated lenses and 2 single coates lenses. I notice a real difference in B&W between them. My Symmar is pre-multicoating (by 6 months) and in the folliage, I can see a reduction in sharpness caused by lens flare like halation under a lot of magnification. It is something that only I notice but it does keep my using the MC lenses more often if I can get away with it. My 300mm single coated Schneider is OK but nowhere near as sharp as my 210 Sironar or Caltar(Grandagon). Maybe in 8x10 it is less pronounced as it is yet another order of magnitude in the negative to print ration. -Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Hello! I'm a bit late in joining in, but IMHO, a 300mm Artar Red Dot or APO dosen't have the coverage for 8x10. I am basing this on my own 14"(360mm) APO Artar which covers 8x10 with very little wiggle room. Even the 300mm Nikkor M is--once again IMHO--painfully tight though some people do just fine with them. I would opt for the 305 G-Claron is you want an affordable APO lens in that focal length. ------Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin