Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,131   Online: 819

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Haris,

You should check out michaelandpaula.com for more thinking on contact printing.

I also want to suggest that you consider 5x7. I use 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 and I find the 5x7 the most visually pleasing because of the longer rectangle, and considerably more negatives can be contacted than 4x5, and it's no harder to carry around and set up than 4x5. A truly good compromise between 4x5 and 8x10.

dgh
    David G Hall

How much do you want to spend? 4x5 is a lot cheaper for a camera, film, chemicals, lenses, film holders, tripod, etc... an enlarger can cost you as little(say $100 for a beat up Omega D-II) to as much as you want to spend, and add to that the cost of a good enlarging lens. An 8x10 costs more, but those negatives are awesum! With careful shopping you can cut your costs down quite a bit, but nowhere near a 4x5. The alternative 5x7 as others have mentioned, is a very viable option. Some cameras, like the Agfa, allow the use of both a 4x5 and 5x7 back and are light enought to use a heavier duty medium format tripod. They are not uncommon to be found with a lens for about $200. A few used film holders, dark cloth, and loupe and you're in business. For 5x7 film try Freestyle---100 sheets of APHS-ortho-for $21 or Arista Pro--if its not Ilford, I don't know what it is--25 sheets-panchromatic- for $21. Good luck!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A look at ebay.de today shows a Wista wood field 4x5, several Plaubel Peco in all sizes up to 8x10 (German size 18x24), Linhof Technikas in 4x5 and 5x7, a Sinar f2, a Sinar Norma 5x7, a Cambo SC, another Cambo,an absolutely beautiful wood field camera of unknown origin, parts enought for several Sinars, lots of lenses, and a complete Beseler 45MXT with Zone VI Coldlight head.

These auctions all end within 48 hours from now, there's a lot more. A few pages back I found a Linhof Color - if I didn't already have one, I might have bid on this for myself
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for advices. First I must tell you that my financies are not good. my monthly income is about 450-500 EURO, and not allways. I am waiting for example my sallary for february now...

Second, new or secondhand equipment is no option(or very hard) in my country(too small market, not too many photographers), and I am forced to buy 90% of my needs abroad. And that includes not possibility to try before buying, higher bank, custom and tax coosts, and of course shipping and handling costs. Thats why I must ask and get "right" answer before deciding to buy something. And if buy something I need to be as more as I can shure that I get good thing, I don't have enough money to make mistake, because I for example have no way to sell LF camera here, as no one is interested to have one. Only "fool" like me ar maybe one or two enthusiasists.

In any case thank you all for replies
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "new or secondhand equipment is no option(or very hard)"

Sorry, my mistake, of course new equipment is option, secondhand is more difficult, especially by internet, because of my low sallary I can't have credit card...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Are you able to shop or travel in other countries of the former Yugoslavia these days? Efke is producing sheet film, so I would think there must be some domestic market, however small. Maybe you could get some hints from Mirko at www.fotoimpex.de. They handle export and sales of various East European films and photo products (Efke, Forte, Meopta, Orwo, etc.), and I would guess that they might be able to point you to some local sources for used equipment.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

haris, This puts matters in a different light! Old gear is, well, old. Shutters gum up and bellows develop leaks, plus the costs you mentioned---shippping, duties, etc... You might be better off finding a reputable dealer in the EU and dealing with them directly. Tell them what you want and how much you want to spend and let them fix you up. Robert White in the UK comes to mind, but there must be others too. FWIW, See if you can find an Agfa Universal in either 5x7 or 8x10. Good LUck!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I think that you should go with 8x10. Despite what some people say you can get real cheap and simple with 8x10 and still produce world class results. (Edward Weston, Morley baer, Chamlee & Smith, etc. just to name a few). All you need is an old B&J or something similar and a cheap tessar type lens, a light builb, some Azo, film and chemicals, and you are in business.
    huh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I will consider all options carefully, but it seems that 8x10, contact prints are in game. And will try secondhand market, but it seems like I will have to save money for new basic outfit

haris, How much is 8x10 film going to cost you in your country? Film and chemicals are reoccuring expenses. Also, keep in mind that for8x10, you'll need film holders---at least 3---and a heavy duty tripod. How good are you at working with your hands? You can buy used 8x10 holders and rework them if neccesary. That will save you some money(get the Eastman Kodaks made by Graflex that unscrew) As far as a tripod goes, perhaps you can find a used one locally. For a camera, do you intend to do studio work or landscapes? If you can get by with a heavy camera, the old metal calumets are cheap and plentyful, but be sure the bellows are light tight. New bellows are budget busters, as are lenses with bad shutters however you might find an otherwise excellent lens in a shutter that is gummed up and only needs a CLA: clean, lube, and adjust. Such a service runs 60-80 US dollars here. I suggest finding a reliable shop locally that can do the work for you---you'll need it sooner if not later. If you intend to take your camera afield, you'll probably be happier with a wooden field camera. A used Kodak D2 or Ansco is about as cheap as they come, offer plenty of moves and are reasonably transportable. A Deardorff or Kodak Masterview will cost more, but are much easier to work with in the field, in my opinion. For a lens, again it depends on what you intend on shooting. If you're shooting black and white, you don't need the newest multicoated lenses( again, my opinion&#33 vintage glass will serve you well, but I would always give the nod to a single coated lens over an uncoated one if possible---the one exception would be the Dagor. A 12 or 14" Commercial Ektar is a good place to start, as well as any of the Dagors, Wollensaks and the older model Rodenstocks and Schneiders. For a sweet deal, you might find a f/9 G-Claron 240mm-270mm--or 305mm enlarging lens for around $100 which you can use as a barrel lens(no shutter) and mount it later in a Copal #1 when you have the money---they usually screw right in, all you'll need is an f/stop scale. Some polaroid MP-4 copy cameras had appropriate Copal and Prontor press shutters that you might be able to get cheaply. This won't work with the WA G-Clarons, though. Good LUck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin