Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,353   Online: 771

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

*Graphic options for both Polaroid and sheet film

I asked this in my x-ray film thread, but without a response, and as it's only tangentally related anyway, I'll post it in a separate topic.

If, for sake of argument, I wanted to use a Polaroid back in any one of the 4x5 Graphic-branded cameras with a view to using sheet film as well at some point, which Graphic camera would work, with which back and/or other options? I'd probably like a rangefinder as well, at least initially.

I've been doing some reading, and I'm getting confused with the Speed/Crown/Anniversary/Pacemaker/?? types as well as the spring/Graphlock backs, and what supports what exactly...

Thanks for your patience with an LF wannabe
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What you need is a Graflok back, recognizable by the sliding locks at top and bottom. The other backs are the Graflex, with one sliding lock at the top, used mainly on the Graflex SLRs, and the Graphic, or spring back, common on earlier Speed Graphics. For the most part, Graflok backs are found on the Pacemaker Speed and Crown Graphics, while the earlier versions usually have spring backs. More info is here http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They all support Polaroid backs and standard sheet film holders and Grafmatics.

You need a Graflok back only for rollfilm holders that don't slip under the glass or if you want to use the Polaroid holder or a Grafmatic holder without the groundglass panel in place (i.e., focusing exclusively with the rangefinder).

The Graflex reflex cameras often have a Graflex back (as opposed to a Graphic back, which is just a normal back), which is wider than the standard back that is common today, and requires special filmholders.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    I asked this in my x-ray film thread, but without a response, and as it's only tangentally related anyway, I'll post it in a separate topic.

If, for sake of argument, I wanted to use a Polaroid back in any one of the 4x5 Graphic-branded cameras with a view to using sheet film as well at some point, which Graphic camera would work, with which back and/or other options? I'd probably like a rangefinder as well, at least initially.

I've been doing some reading, and I'm getting confused with the Speed/Crown/Anniversary/Pacemaker/?? types as well as the spring/Graphlock backs, and what supports what exactly...

Thanks for your patience with an LF wannabe
    If you are talking about the Polaroid 545, it works with any 4x5 camera that takes cut film holders (which is all of them), including all the Graflock and Graphic backs. Hop over to fee bay and surf one up. You'll see it is made to just slip in place like a film holder. You'll love type 55.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 12-11-2007 at 11:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You forgot to mention the Super Graphic which was a late model metal body model. I have one, very nice. It has a rotating graflok back.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I assumed the OP meant the 405 pack film holder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    I assumed the OP meant the 405 pack film holder.
    Mabmam?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    If you are talking about the Polaroid 545, it works with any 4x5 camera that takes cut film holders (which is all of them), including all the Graflock and Graphic backs...
    I should have said most all of them, I wasn't thinking about the Graflex reflex as David mentioned.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Mabmam?
    Yes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Yes.
    Which polaroid back were you thinking of?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin