Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,579   Online: 870

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod for 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I received my camera in the mail yesterday (it's a calumet c400 monorail) and the 3221 holds it... not rocksteady, but steady. It seems quite sturdy if only one leg set is extended but not the 2nd; I'm having to stoop a little bit, but it's not bad. I'm using a 3232 head on it, it's the head that only moves forwards and backwards and it works quite well. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a new tripod in a month or 2 if this one doesn't work out.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

FWIW mine is a Calumet C401. The longer and I guess heavier version of your camera. The tripod handles it just fine. Well I've not tried it with the centre column but then I don't need it.

If you decide you need a new tripod do what I did. Bring the camera into the shop and try it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert, I'm not actually sure which of the C400 series calumet cameras I own. I had a friend who offered me a: "Calumet 4x5 camera with a rotating back and Ilex 7.5" f/4.5 lens" for very cheap and jumped on it.

If you have any suggestions about which calumet camera I have let me know, it's grey, has a rotating back, and the monorail is round with a notch in the bottom and is 19" long
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Sounds like the 400 to me. The 401 has 26" or so of rail. They also made a wide angle version of the camera. 402 I think. The 400 is likely the one that works the best for all things. My 401 can't really use wide lenses. Well it can but it's limited. The wide angle model can't go very long. I only wish mine was lighter and the rail came off.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a Stabil wooden tripod. The camera on it is a Linhof Technica III, 5x7". There's one more leg section to go, if I ever need it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

EDC

It's funny, everytime the topic of tripods comes up there's always the "a light tripod will be fine, most people use a heavier tripod than they need camp" and the "if it doesn't break your back it's gonna give you blurry prints camp" I haven't used the Bogen in question, but I'd think it would be a tad lightweight for a big monorail. I use a G1325 with a low profile G1370M head that I really like. It's a bit pricey, but didn't seem so bad after I first saw the US prices and then bought at Robert Whites.

Aggie, I was wondering about those odd off-set Gitzo ball heads. Your the first person I have heard of that uses one. I was just wondering what the advantage of the off-set design is?

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I find those weight ratings in general misleading, because the camera is not just dead weight in a testing lab. Yes, a tripod rated for 22 lbs. won't collapse with a 22 lb. camera on it, but will the camera really be steady when you have a long lens and the bellows racked out all the way and the wind blowing, or when you have a 35mm camera with a 600mm lens and an extension tube to photograph a sparrow 10 feet away with Kodachrome 64? The forces being applied to the head may be greater than the rating under those circumstances.

The photographer I mentioned above who uses a Tiltall for his 8x10" generally shoots interiors, so no wind problems, and he uses short lenses. A Tiltall is probably enough for that, but I wouldn't use it for landscapes with the 8x10".
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I use a Bogen 3021 with the 3047 head for 35mm, 6x9 Moskva, and my 4x5 Super Graphic. The head may be a tad much for either of these, and it is heavy, but rock solid. If I had it to do over again, I would probably get a lighter head, and buy the same leg set. Bogen offers a good value for the money.
    Push your limits regularly!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin