Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,415   Online: 1168

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Lense

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I have had passed on to me a lense, in prontor-press shutter, marked "JML 56mm f1.9". A rough ground-glass test says that it covers 2x3 (at least, but not much more) at infinity, and it's coated with a definite blue on both front and rear elements. No other identifying marks that I can find. Any ideas what this is? It's small, light, and appears contrasty on the GG, though it will require a 2" deep recessed board to be used on the Burke and James. Time to adapt it to an old Kodak tourist and use as a pocket camera?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Didn't JML make process lenses? 1.9 is pretty fast, though, for a process lens. Maybe it's some kind of photocopier lens or an enlarging lens from a minilab processor.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've got an old Kodak Tourist camera but I can't find any 620 film for it. Can you use 120 in it? The pictures I did take while I still had film were really sharp. I would love to use it again.

I'm in server hell today so would like some good news!!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Eric, While I haven't done it myself, I do understand that 120 film can be used in 620 cameras. The caveat is that the 120 film must be spooled onto 620 spools. If you have spare 620 spools around, looks like you're in business.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    fparnold, Your mystery lens was probably made by JML Optical Industries which is a small specialty OEM optical manufacturer located in Rochester, New York. Perhaps, if you contacted them they would be able to tell you more about your lens. Good luck.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Some further digging says that it was probably an oscilloscope lens, and covered polaroid pack film when used up close. Tempted to put it in a box,and see how it does on 6x9.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have an old oscilloscope lens, its a Woolensak 75mm f1.9. Pretty fast but the old Alphax shutter only stops down to f16 so limited depth of field. It covers 4x5 easily for close up work (1:1) but just about 6x7cm at infinity and was not sharp across the plane only in the center

I makes a good copy lens but with the limited depth of field not all that useful for macro work.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always wondered about those Wollensaks. I had a coworker with one as a paperweight, but I couldn't get him to give it up as it had been from some early piece of lab equipment he'd owned, and it was all that was left.

I have to check again, but I think I'm only getting F22 with the JML. Of course, if you're photographing an oscilloscope and need more than minimal depth of field, you have problems other than photographic. Wonder if my 203 Ektar would fit in that shutter?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dnmilikan @ Apr 26 2003, 02:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The caveat is that the 120 film must be spooled onto 620 spools. If you have spare 620 spools around, looks like you&#39;re in business.</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    One of the most frustrating activities I know of is trying to re-spool 120 fim, complete with backing. How on earth do you get the film itself it in the right position in relation to the backing when the re-spooling is done?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

I&#39;d heard the big problem with those lab lenses is that they aren&#39;t exactly well corrected. Fine if you use them the way intended.

Isn&#39;t somebody selling 620 film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin