Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,088   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Images
    These folks are not telling you about the anti dust ritual that includes offerings to the gods, and a silly dance around the darkroom sprinkling blessed developer on the offering.

In all seriousness I think it depends where you live. I live in the desert, do everything that these folks have recommended and still get dust at times. I have fewer problems when I load in the bathroom after running the shower for a VERY short amount of time. Open the door until the mirror clears and then reseal to load. Anti static brushes only stop the problem for a very short amount of time around here.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've had 3 antistatic brushes and they have died so quickly that I just use the brushes for "moving the dust around".. Everything has been covered here, keep your holders CLEAN, and don't give the dust enough time to settle before you slider the holder shut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not much, take a brush out sometimes and after a light brushing tap the sides to dislodge any particles that might have gotten in. Using a cloth and rubbing it around is certain to cause stuff to stick. The best solution is to keep them in a clean place, bag or pouch etc., and clean them as little as possible. After all what are they going through to need a wash and dry?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    In Nov. 07 there was a question about sticky dark slides on the LF forum. I posted "J.B. Harlin, ULF camera builder, View Camera author and conference speaker, generally all around good guy, recommended Renaissance Paste wax. It was designed for maintenance of wood items in museums. It is clean, dust free and smooth. I know Light Impressions sells it, but it is also available elsewhere. I use it on 7x17 film holders, dark slides and several camera parts." Besides making everything work smoother it seems to make it difficult for dust to stick. On 7x17 you have the added benefit that it makes all that wood look better, but it really keeps the dust away from anything where I have used it.

I dust everything in the darkroom with a moist rag and vacuum the floor with the vent fan going when ever it needs it. The air coming into the room goes through a furnace filter. I keep two 8x10 film holders in the black plastic bags that come with 16x20 Kentmere FB VC paper. Then I carry 8-10 holders in a cheap zippered bag from Wal-Mart, another 8-10 in a sealed back pack. I carry the 7x17 holders in MC Sports, padded, Velcro sealed, bags, that Quality Camera sells. 5-7 of these go in a back pack meant for scuba gear from Dick's Sporting Goods.

Hope these ideas help.

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    These folks are not telling you about the anti dust ritual that includes offerings to the gods, and a silly dance around the darkroom sprinkling blessed developer on the offering.

I
    SSSSSHHHHHHH!!!!!

Images
    I didn't give it all away. Just enough to get him drooling. We'll charging him for the particulars.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Let me add, dust showing up in the sky of a negative is posibly dust that is attracted to the film from inside the camera when you pull the dark slide. Keep the bellows clean (vacume regularly) and wipe down the holder with an antistatic cloth before inserting in the back of the camera. Wipe the darkslide before putting it back in the holder. Pull it out and reinsert slowly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard of folks holding the loaded holder upside down with the slide pulled out and zapping it with air after loading it. Not doable in a changing tent though. Dust only shows up on your good negs that you didn't make a dupe of on location. I always make sure to remove as much dust as possible from the darkslide before inserting into the camera too. Wear a had when loading your holders if you're in the darkroom.
    vinny
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Dust

All of the above suggestions are excellent; I'll add one more. Buy a new small brush for your vacuum cleaner, and only use it only on your film holders.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dust? Naah

From the amount of spotting one has to do sometimes; surely some dust is on what we photograph and is really part of the image.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin