Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,731   Online: 805

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The last one I bought was called "Uralt Kamerateil oder sowas?"

But they're often called something with "Iris", "Universal", and "Lens mount" in it in whichever order.

Most of them seem to have been made in Germany. In my experience they are often cheaper when attached to a camera than alone. Two of mine came that way; and then the camera was just too nice to get rid of so I bought another one...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sam, can you strobe your light? Obviously that's no good for most outdoor stuff.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The last one I bought was called "Uralt Kamerateil oder sowas?"

But they're often called something with "Iris", "Universal", and "Lens mount" in it in whichever order.

Most of them seem to have been made in Germany. In my experience they are often cheaper when attached to a camera than alone. Two of mine came that way; and then the camera was just too nice to get rid of so I bought another one...
    LOL
    Yeah, they usually go for premium prices these days. Everyone needs one to mount a lens recently acquired from Jim G.

This iris-ring is called in Germany since over 100 years Universalanschraubring or Universal-Objektivring.

One example in ICA-Hauptkatalog Dresden 1912: sizes - greatest (littelst) size for optics 53 (20), 60 (20), 80 (25), 120mm (40mm)

One example in Mail order catalogue Central Camera Company, Chikago 1935, page 98, Iris Lens Flanges
    No. 1 for lenses 4-10 to 2 4-10'' Dia. up to
    No. 4 for lenses 2 -to 4 3/4 '' Dia. - this costs Dollar 9.60 (not today)

In France (and in Germany) it was in sale up to 1963: Central Ohoto - France Photo ICA - Photo-Cine-Stock
    Catalogue gros 1963, page 54 Rondelle Universelle in two sizes
    Ouverture de 15 a 60 mm 61,40 Francs
    Ouverture de 25 a 100 mm 102,23 Francs

They were deliverable together mounted on a sync. shutter 1/25 sec. from Gitzo with free diameter 59 or 74 mm. Thuch a piece I have on my Kardan-Color, I found in Bievres, Paris on the famous fleemarket. Good old days, there had been EVERYTHING!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you, GBF. I'll keep looking.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    If you want 1/500, the Speed Graphic is the way to go.

If you want the Speed Graphic shutter on the Tachihara, you will have to invent a way to cobble the two together!
    Those damned iris mounts keep getting more and more expensive. I passed one up at like $50 on ebay once, and similarly neglected an old wooden camera beater with one attached for $200, and now I see 'em going in the hundreds.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    With a large shutter (e.g. Ilex #5), depending upon the size of the lens, you can mount the shutter in front of the lens (as mentioned by John), or the lens in front of the shutter with (typical packard mounting, except using a lensboard). Either mounting may vignet depending upon angle of view and format.

The advantage of front mounting the shutter is that if the filter threads are standard, you might be able to purchase filter thread adapters to mount the shutter onto multiple lenses. For mounting the lens in front of the shutter you will need to machine adapters for the different lenses to fit into the shutter.

So you can simply use cheap Chinese male-male macro reverse adapters? Are they strong enough to hold, say, a Copal #3 shutter? I'm toying with the idea of putting one in front of a Rodagon-G 210mm...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	copal3+210-G.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	58786

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkroom_rookie View Post
    So you can simply use cheap Chinese male-male macro reverse adapters? Are they strong enough to hold, say, a Copal #3 shutter? I'm toying with the idea of putting one in front of a Rodagon-G 210mm...

Name:	copal3+210-G.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	58786
    Interesting idea. Not new, and it has never worked for me. But it is worth revisiting.

Lessee, now. Copal #3 mount thread is M61x0.75, not a standard filter thread. Still won't work.

But there are other ways. According to Rodenstock's Process Lens Manual the 210/5.6 Rodagon-G's front filter thread is M67x0.75. Its rear mounting thread is M72x1. Its entrance and exit pupils are around 38 mm in diameter at full aperture. Think about hanging the lens in front of an Ilex #3 or, if you have one, a Copal #3. www.skgrimes.com or www.srb-griturn.com can turn an adapter for you.

Most of my adapters come from Grimes, I have only one from SRB. The one from SRB does what I need but is on the light and flimsy side; they designed it with threading to meet my needs, their experience with filter step rings shows. My Grimes adapters are all much sturdier.

Re y'r sketch, its good practice to make the adapter's tube that screws into the shutter as long as possible. And y'r sketch shows rather thinner adapter walls than are really safe.

In general, I prefer mounting the lens in front of the shutter to mounting the shutter in front of the lens, if the shutter will bear the lens' weight and if the lens isn't so large that it blocks access to the shutter's controls. At the moment the shortest lens I hang in front of a shutter is a 60 and the longest is a 600. My 900 has a Compound #5 in front of it. I have a couple of 210s set up to mount in front of a #1. No inexpensive step or reversing rings involved, alas.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 10-23-2012 at 07:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info, Dan, appreciate it. This it shall be then:

Name:	copal3+210-G_2nd.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	58824

Shooter
    Large Format
    I own a Tachihara 4x5 and I wouldn't want to add any weight besides a lightweight lens to the front standard. My 8x10 lenses stress it.

I have read that some Shen Haos and Chaminox's may be made to take a Sinar shutter. I would look at a Chaminox.

As far as what Dan Fromm is telling you, I know Dan from Large Format Photography Forum and he is one of the local experts so I would definitely trust his opinion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin