Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,636   Online: 772

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Shutter for barrel lenses?

I am wondering if there is a way to use my barrel lenses on my Tachihara?

Currently I am using them on a speed graphic, carrying both the Tach and the speed is too much so I usually choose one or the other. I would like to use my brass lenses on the Tach.

Is there a shutter available to allow for speeds from 1/30- 1/500?

The packard seems to be for time exposures only is that correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe a packard also gives you one timed speed of approximately 1/25 or so. A search here on packard shutters will give you a quick answer. Best. Shawn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes you are right.

That will not do, I need faster, are there any other options?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sinar makes a behind the lens focal plane shutter. A friend of mine added one to his Canham and it works great though it's a bit pricey and would certainly require some modification to your camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sam,

you might look into buying a shutter, like a copal or prontar or betax, alphax or ...
    and "front mount it " to your lens. i have never done this, but have heard
    of folks front mounting shutters, and from what i gather it isn't as expensive
    as having it mounted "in a shutter" because there are not shims, or crazy machining or critical spacing involved.
    it mounts on like a big filter, and you can take it off
    (or not? ) when you want to use it as a barrel.
    not quite sure if there would be vignetting ... as i said, never done it, but steve grimes &co
    suggested it to me at one time, so i guess it is a viable option ...

good luck!

john

ps. there is always the jim galli shutter or the top hat / lens cap method as well

Shooter
    Large Format
    With a large shutter (e.g. Ilex #5), depending upon the size of the lens, you can mount the shutter in front of the lens (as mentioned by John), or the lens in front of the shutter with (typical packard mounting, except using a lensboard). Either mounting may vignet depending upon angle of view and format.

The advantage of front mounting the shutter is that if the filter threads are standard, you might be able to purchase filter thread adapters to mount the shutter onto multiple lenses. For mounting the lens in front of the shutter you will need to machine adapters for the different lenses to fit into the shutter.

I have a trio of barrel mounted process lenses for my 8x10 that I am looking at that issue as well. I do not however, share your need for speed.

Good luck and let us know how you make out,

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, Sam, I use all sorts of lenses in barrel hung in front of a Copal #1 with no problems. But on 2x3, not 4x5. The shortest lens I use that way at infinity is around 120 mm.

But hanging a lens in front of a #1 with 4x5 is more problematic because of vignetting. Here's the test: if the distance from the lens' exit pupil to the shutter's diaphragm is less than 20% of the distance from the lens' exit pupil to the film plane, vignetting will not be a problem at infinity. This based on reasoning from similar triangles with the facts that the #1 shutter's maximum aperture is 30 mm and the diagonal of 4x5 film is 150 mm.

You want 1/500? You're dreaming. A cock-and-shoot Copal 1's top speed is 1/400. A Copal Press' top speed is 1/125. Larger shutters (Alphax, Betax, Gammax, #3) are all slower.

Since you want to carry only the Tachihara you can't use your Speed, mounted in front of the lens, as the shutter. That's the way to get high shutter speeds ...

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want 1/500, the Speed Graphic is the way to go.

If you want the Speed Graphic shutter on the Tachihara, you will have to invent a way to cobble the two together!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I guess I was just dreaming!

Thanks everyone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sam,
    questions:
    1. what size of lenses are you talking about? The larger the lens, the slower the speed available is for leaf shutters.

2. Why cant you just stop down the lens more to use a slower shutter speed?

3. Alternately, what does the tach give you that the speed doesnt?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin