Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,115   Online: 736

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hello Don,
    As I saw the deal @ Feb 17, EST, I told myself that, I am the one! I am on this! BUT, shame on me, after couple of emails of RD, while I am still thinking, it's gone. I just told my wife, it's Don, who officially got this puppy.
    Let us know how is going, based on your profound experience of LF. I always compare it with my linhof23/rollei Tlrs, if size matter. then I might jump into it.
    andrewren.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    The Canham arrived today and my first impressions are very good. It's very well built, a work of art and stable even with the bellows at full extension. Lever locks are a non issue and lock very easily. Set up and take down are no more difficult than my Deardorff. The bellows interchange is so nice. Why couldn't others be that clever. I'm guessing that I will be selling my Shen Hao in the very near future but will never part with my old friend the Sinar Norma.
    Happy to know about the lever locks Don and Sandy. I don't know about the wood cameras of course, but the metal camera have some "play" in the rear standard, i.e., note when the camera is on the tripod that one can sort of "jiggle" the rear standard a bit. I imagine that is the way the camera is built in order to gain all the weight savings, and movements. If the
    "shift" lever isn't completely tightened then the jiggling can turn into a bit of small movement along the shift planes when either the dark cloth is moved about, or the film holders are inserted.

How are things going Don?

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Last evening I spent a little more time learning the Canham. I discovered that even though the canham doesn't have a grafloc back the 4x5 back will open up enough to allow the Shen Hao 6x12 back to slide in. With the GG protector it's a perfect fit with room to spare. I knew the 5x7 would do this to accomidate the 6x17 back and it looks like the 4x5 was designed the same way. Excellent!
    I thought the Canham had a 5x7 Graflok back for the 6x17 RFH? If it does why do you need to slide the holder in?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So far I really like the Canham. No film through it yet but some dry testing. It's a different animal than any other LF camera I've used but no more different than getting in a Volvo after driving a Honda. The camera seems to be very solid even it full extension. I'm quite pleased with this and feel it's a good choice for long glass. No grafloc back but it does allow a 6x12 back to easily slide into the spring back of the 4x5 and no question the 6x17 will easily slide into the 5x7. First impressions are a very nicely finished camera with a great deal of thought as to making improvements on the basic cameras like the Ansco/agfa and Deardorff. I'm talking wood here and not metal. The interchange of bad and regular bellows is really nice and simple. Locks hold firm with little pressure and stay where they're set. No creap problems on my camera. Levers are different and flip locks are a bit different particularly the positioning but as I said it's no more of a problem than the differences of instrument and controll placement of a Volvo vs a Honda.

I spoke to Kieth Canham about ordering a Linhof adapter board. Very nice man as everyone said and very helpfull. I also commented about placing drag on the focusing system to keep the bellows from pulling the focusing rails back when the bellows is near full extension. The bellows is a bit springy and wants to pull the standards together throwing focus off if you don't hold the focus in position while you set the lock. No big deal bit a variable drag system on the focus would be nice. Up to this point this is the only comment that I've had and suggestion.

Andrew I would say I'm sorry you didn't get the camera but then I wouldn't have gotten it. If this makes you feel any better it's in near new condition and came with bag and standard bellows, 4x5 and 5x7 backs, boards and GG protectors, 10 4x5 and 5 5x7 holders. All in very fine condition. Hope you get the next one. With patience there's always a great deal in the works. Also if you're wanting one I'm going to be selling my mint Shen Hao 4x5 with bag bellows and case for $500. Lovely camera and would have kept it but the bellows was too short for my long glass.

I'm headed out of town tomorrow on a commercial shoot in an area of great subjects. I'm going to load some 5x7 B&W tonight and give it a run tomorrow. I'm certain the first few trecks will be a little awkward but I expect it to be second nature in short order.

Thanks for everyone comments on helping with my choice. I can say I think everyone was honest and factual which is greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Don. Looking forward to your new results.

Cheers

Andrew

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin