Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,854   Online: 766

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge View Post
    Brett Weston is quoted as saying, "There is nothing photogenic more than one half mile from the road."
    He used an 8x10....
    Of course it's is easy to believe with a heavy 8x10. I find more interesting, pristine, subjects more than one half mile above the road - hiking to higher elevations requires lighter gear, of course.

Judging by the name "highpeak", I would assume someone else feels that way also.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by highpeak View Post
    I am facing a difficult choice right now, I have too many cameras,
    No, not possible!

I have 3 4X5 cameras, one is Chamonix (I really like it), one is Sinar F1, and the other one is Speed graphic (to use brass lens with it).
    The Chamonix, deal for backpacking; the Sinar, for studio, and architecture; and the Speed Graphic, see if you can get an anatomical grip, and a Grafmatic six sheet film holder and do some 4x5 point and shoot.

I also have a Deardorff 8X10, just got it, didn't shoot it yet.
    Just think of the contact prints from this.

and here is the problem, I really want to get a Chamonix whole plate camera because I like that format and the camera is really light.
    OK. Maybe this would be a better trade off than the Deardoff (weight/film size); though there is a better selection of film types available in 8x10 format, if you can find film you like in full-plate format (Wephota NP, Ilford), it could be an excellent camera for landscape.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    Of course it's is easy to believe with a heavy 8x10. I find more interesting, pristine, subjects more than one half mile above the road - hiking to higher elevations requires lighter gear, of course.

Judging by the name "highpeak", I would assume someone else feels that way also.
    Yes, I enjoy hiking a lot and I agree there is more to see if go more than one half mile off the road

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Steve, thanks for the tip

Either you are single or you have a really understanding other half

Alex W.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How about an 8x10 Chamonix with a whole plate AND 4x5 back?

The Cham is very light and a well built camera.

I love my 45N-1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Before making a final decision, I would suggest you also check out Richard Ritter's new 8x10 Carbon Fiber camera http://www.lg4mat.net This thing has 32 inches of bellows, nearly unlimited movements and weighs about 7 lbs. And because you are dealing with Richard, you can likely get him to custom make almost any accessory you can think of. Richard is putting together the initial order for these cameras. Those of us that order prior to February 15th will receive a discount. There is a tread about this on the LF forum.

Best wishes with your quest,
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd keep the Deardorff and just get a whole-plate back for it, if you want to shoot whole-plate. It wouldn't be hard to make such a thing, and the reducing back would be less expensive than a whole camera. You could also get a 4x5" reducing back and maybe sell the Sinar.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have been thinking hard about this for quite a while now, I will go for the whole plate camera, from all the reviews about Chamonix cameras, I think it should be a good one, I can always go down to 5X7 or 5X8 format if the film availability for WP camera become an issue. 8X10 is just not my cup of tea, most of the 8X10 are big and heavy, Richard Ritter's new 8x10 is impressive, but I don't think I can afford it right now.

again, thanks for your kind suggestions.

Alex W.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin