Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,998   Online: 877

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

film holders - what type plastic?

Anyone know from what sort of plastic Lisco & Regal, etc., film holders are made? I'm going to modify some and want to get the best adhesive match for the purpose.

TIA,

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe, I've just repaired some using Superglue, but a solvent type cement would be better. A few years ago I dissolved some 120 plastic spools in cellulose paint thinners and made a repair cement to fix some developing tanks, this worked extremely well, 25 years later the tanks are still robust.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So wait a minute--are you saying you've solved one of the great photographic mysteries? There really is a use for old 120 film spools.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    So wait a minute--are you saying you've solved one of the great photographic mysteries? There really is a use for old 120 film spools.
    Err yes

Actually I used to dissolve them in an old 100ft 35mm film can, lasted for monthss, and best of all it's a light tight adhesive/cement.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just tested Methylene Dichloride on a holder and would suggest that it is probably one of the best to use. It is the solvent cement used for acrylic. Try Home Despot or a sign shop might give you a bit. Just make sure you have a good fit between pieces.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richard ide View Post
    I just tested Methylene Dichloride on a holder and would suggest that it is probably one of the best to use. It is the solvent cement used for acrylic. Try Home Despot or a sign shop might give you a bit. Just make sure you have a good fit between pieces.
    zat like Weld-on 3?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks as if it might be the same product. I would google the chemical name so that you can be aware of the hazards involved in its use. Very unpleasant to get a trace in your mouth (BTDT) as it is about 200,000 times sweeter than sugar.

The easiest and most accurate way to apply it is with a hypodermic syringe. Plastic suppliers sell all glass ones and blunt needles. You can use disposables from the drug store but the rubber seal degrades rapidly. You can also get a one ounce bottle with a needle.
    Last edited by richard ide; 02-18-2008 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: More info
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

I've used gray PC-7 to repair a badly damaged 8x10 Lisco Royal. A little black paint and it looksed like new---and that was 5 years ago---that holder is still going strong btw.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin