Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,677   Online: 1152

Shooter
    35mm

Film holder compatible?

Hi everyone, i have recently bought a pacemaker crown graphic with a graflok back from a fellow friend here in the Philippines. I think he got it from ebay. The film holders that came with it have blacktape on the bottom. My problem is that i want to buy new film holders but there is non locally available. Recently, a local photo shop started to distribute shen hao cameras..

My question, are the shen hao film holders compatible with the graflok back of my pacemaker?

Thank you.

Ari

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi ari

the black tape on the bottom just means that former owner re-hinged the film holders.
    they are still good (i do the same thing with mine)
    pretty much any 4x5 film holders will work with your camera .. but if you buy used
    watch out for ones with slots /grooves on the side ( for graflex slr cameras )
    and ones that are DEEP with a spring at the bottom ( for dry plates ).
    i have never seen shen hao film holders .. if they are as nice as their cameras,
    you will be very happy

good luck!
    john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    John,

Thanks a lot. I already separated the holders that had light leaks on the hinge area. It came pre loaded with film, am not pretty sure how my friend loaded it (might be the cause?). Now that I know it is only normal seeing taped film backs, I feel better and more confident that my film is safe.

I just might invest a little more on tape

Thanks again,
    Ari

Shooter
    Multi Format

thick black tape, "gaffer tape" as well as book binder's tape works wonders
    to repair the hinge.

good luck!
    john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The tape does not actually keep light away from the film, so if you just open the flap and hold it up to the light, you will probably see light through the tape. The light trap is formed by the flap closing on the body of the holder, and the tape keeps the flap in place.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks David. Another wisdom learned.

I've never felt so contented with just an exposure or two for a day. LF has really made me appreciate taking a photo much even more. The photo feels very personal.

Ari

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin