Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,482   Posts: 1,571,163   Online: 1244

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

UV and colour filter in series on the lens

I leave my UV filter on my lens all the time. I never take it off. I guess it is more for protection than filtering. When I use a filter such as an Amber or Red, I simply screw the filter into the UV filter. I do not remove the UV filter.

Is this a suitable way to operate or should I be removing the UV filter when I use different filters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best to remove the UV filter, adding more glass air/surfaces in front of the lens just lowers the image quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My suggestion is to go naked and take off the UV filter. Let the lens work the way it was designed to work. Use a lens hood, it will help you far more and is a good way to protect your lens. If you must use a filter, try to use it with a hood as well.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't take our word for it, go and make test photos: at night, with strong, overexposed light sources off-center at various places in the frame, without filter and with one or two filters. See if you can find combinations of the factors mentioned above that will give you ghosts or veiling glare. I guess there'll be plenty.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin