Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,295   Posts: 1,681,427   Online: 952

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JRJacobs View Post
    I would certainly agree with the sentiment that Linhof Technikas are overpriced. That being said, they have very nice geared movements not found on other press type cameras. They are wonderful to use, but very heavy. I prefer the Super Graphic myself.
    Funny I hadn't noticed anyone saying they were over priced. Anyway I have a Tech IV, have beat the crap out of it, lugged it all over the world and it has never failed me yet. It's worth a lot more to me than I paid for it. When you depend on something to bring the crop in, you don't quible about the price.

The only thing I wish is that I had a Tech V so I wouldn't have to fuss around to get my lenses cammed.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You probably would still fuss around having your lenses cammed. Marflex recommends sending in the camera anyway to check the rangefinder calibration when having a new lens cammed, which I've done with my Tech V, and it's proven to be wise advice. They can also do things like shim lenses so that two lenses can share one set of infinity stops. 150/90 and 135/75 are two common combinations, for instance, so with the wider lens, the rail is pushed back one stop.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    When you depend on something to bring the crop in, you don't quible (sic) about the price.

The only thing I wish is that I had a Tech V so I wouldn't have to fuss around to get my lenses cammed.

Eric
    Why don't you just buy a Tech V instead of wishing? Sounds like you are quibbling about the price to me!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have saome Linhof bits and pieces which were left to me among an LF kit and the gernal quality is outstanding, like comparing a mercedes to a Toyota. In particular there were a number of Linhof premium dark slides and they leave every other version I've laid eyes on for dead for attention to detail and quality of build.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Linhof, like a Leica, is a lifetime camera. Not everybody needs one, nor wants one, nor likes them, but if you buy one, it will last you a lifetime it you take minimal care of it. The only thing I've ever done to my Tech V is replace the bellows.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A less expensive Linhof

Nobody's mentioned the Technika III. They can be acquired at a much lower price, and of course have more limitations, but for general use when extreme movements aren't likely to be needed, they are great. It has the back movements, front rise and shift, but no forward tilt. You can get forward tilt by dropping the bed and using the rise and rear tilt to adjust for what you need. The rear movements and the front rise are the most important; if I needed fancier movements, I'd break out the Cambo. The III is built like a tank and stands up really well under the heaviest use. For me, that's essential.

I had one for a long time and used it a LOT, even though the rise was worn and I had to clamp it in place when using it much out of straight on normal. I had recovered it myself in brown leather, and made several lensboards for it myself, the one for a 90 mm angulon having an image of my eyes photo-etched into it using circuit board resists. The III has only one cam, but that's all I needed, because the cam matched the 127 ektar, the only lens I needed to use with the RF. I usually used it on the tripod, for landscape and architecture.

I really don't consider the Technika to be a press camera at all. I suppose it has been used that way, but why use a camera with so many capabilities for a single, limited purpose? Now, of course, the function of the press camera is performed by the digital slr.

My III was stolen in a breach of confidence. I've often been tempted to publish the name of the guy who stole it but I suppose I could get into some sort of trouble, so I don't.

I've missed it and have been looking to replace it, but I found a technika 70 which is now on the way to me. Since I'm older than I was when I was so often packing the III around, and strangely, getting older every day, it ocurred to me that 120 rollfilm ought to be just fine. The camera coming has the roll back but lacks the standard ground glass one. I'll want to replace that because the rangefinder doesn't help much when you use the movements.

The Linhof is really a lightweight compared to my OTHER camera - the Kodak 8x10 Master View. That thing will keep any floor from floating out into space.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post

The Linhof is really a lightweight compared to my OTHER camera - the Kodak 8x10 Master View. That thing will keep any floor from floating out into space.
    Ha, I am sure that is true!

I have seen the 70 and it is a neat camera - I am sure you will enjoy it immensely. Sorry to hear what happened to your Tech III - that is a shame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    I've missed it and have been looking to replace it, but I found a technika 70 which is now on the way to me. Since I'm older than I was when I was so often packing the III around, and strangely, getting older every day, it ocurred to me that 120 rollfilm ought to be just fine. The camera coming has the roll back but lacks the standard ground glass one. I'll want to replace that because the rangefinder doesn't help much when you use the movements.
    I'd LOVE to have another Tech 70!!! Mine was stolen about 25 years ago, and I still miss it. I had three cammed lenses: 65mm f5.6 Angulon, 100mm f5.6 Symmar, and 180mm f5.6 Tele Artar. Later I found a 100mm f2.8 Xenotar with cam. Had the groundglass back and a 120 Super Rollex. It was a wonderful machine!! The meter worked, and I used it with the incident cover, which gave quite accurate readings.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've had a 2x3" Technika for a few years now, and it's been very handy, particularly for travel with our toddler, when I'd really like to bring a view camera, but just don't have the space to carry the 4x5" or larger, associated equipment, and all the extra baby stuff. Maybe that's why they call it a "Baby" Technika.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

I think Technikas are cool! John Sexton and Roman Loranc do incredible work with them! $2000 seems steep but if the camera was in mint condition with lots of goodies, then the price would be quite attractive compared with a new one.

I have a 5x7 Speed Graphic that has effectively put my 4x5 Crown out to pasture---for a hand held 5x7 it is slick! I once thought of replacing it with a Technika (and still would if it ever wears out or walks off) but the price of a 5x7 Technika is far too expensive for me then and now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin