Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,133   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

What is "enough" tripod for a Sinar P?

Jumped in and purchased a Sinar P on a certain auction site from what appears to be a nice gentlemen in Texas. The camera is on its way.

I'm looking at my trusty and old Tiltall tripod, though it is very sturdy under my MF cameras, it is probably a little on the light side for the Sinar P. What have folks found to be enough tripod for a Sinar P for the home studio and a lug-able distance from the car?

Thanks,

Jay Decker
    Kennewick, WA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Sinar Norma that I use with Gitzo 1325 CF legs and a Sinar head. Whatever tripod you wind up with I urge you to get a Sinar head for it. It is a perfect match for your camera and is very solid and easy to use, and not even real heavy.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage View Post
    I have a Sinar Norma that I use with Gitzo 1325 CF legs and a Sinar head. Whatever tripod you wind up with I urge you to get a Sinar head for it. It is a perfect match for your camera and is very solid and easy to use, and not even real heavy.

Richard Wasserman
    I can second that. I have a manfrotto 055 tripod and the 141 head which I use for my Norma 5X7 and though I find the legs ok the head is not quite up to the task.

Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A Tiltall's enough for a Sinar F, but a bit light for a P. Richard's suggestion of a Gitzo 3-series and Sinar Pan-Tilt head is a good one. Majestic is another good option but the head is heavier than the Sinar Pan-Tilt.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, but the Majestic is also about 1/4 the price. Sinar pan/tilts, unless they look like something the dog vomited up, seem to go for multiple hundreds of dollars on the auction site, whereas a good condition used Majestic can often be found in the neighborhood of $100.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't go very far with a Sinar! I have a Manfrotto 058 tripod with a Manfrotto 229 pan & tilt head which suits the Sinar quite well, I also have a Manfrotto 168 heavy-duty ball head which will hold the camera fine but has the operating problems of any b+s head with a heavy camera. At home I have a thing called a De Vere industrial stand, basically a very old heavy-duty double-extension tripod with a very large (1 3/4") center column which unlike most tripods is very stable with the center column in any position. This has a Manfrotto 068 b+s head in it, I use it as a studio stand for any camera because the center column raises and lowers quickly. I have a Manfrotto 055 tripod too, I use this outside with the 168 head and a Mamiya RB67 or Speed Graphic, it's definitely a weight/stability trade-off and the center column is more or less purely ornamental!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With my Sinar F I use an old Gitzo "4" series (411?) aluminum tripod with a Rationelle 3B (2-way pan tilt) head. I bought it in the '80s when I discovered that in the prairie wind my Tiltall quivered ever so slightly that negatives were coming out blurry enough to be useless. No problem with the Gitzo/Sinar combo then or in the intervening years. (Though these days it seems to have put on some weight)

Sinar sits in it's box now and I'm finding that maybe the old Gitzo is too much tripod for the Technica I'm using these days...maybe I need a 3 series for it.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Majestic with the geared aircraft carrier flat top head is the ticket. Mine is only 19 lb. Makes those wimpy looking carbon plastic thingys look like toys. (I usually take my tiltall.) K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With an f1 or 2, or any f as they all weigh about the same which isn't much, I've used the bogen/manfrotto 3001 and 3021 tripod, the heavy duty ball head (which I wouldn't recommend) and the pan tilt head (3047 i think) and that works well. When I get a new head it'll be of the heavy duty geared pan tilt variety.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    >SNIP
    I have a Manfrotto 055 tripod too, I use this outside with the 168 head and a Mamiya RB67 or Speed Graphic, it's definitely a weight/stability trade-off and the center column is more or less purely ornamental!

Regards,

David
    The centercollumn on my 055 tripod unfortunately fell victim to a hacksaw long ago And the plastic dingie disappeared at the same time. Actually I also have a 058, it was my first Manfrotto, but the weight!!!!
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin