Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,635   Online: 846

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think there are any electronics repair people who service CGs.
    Try Buzz Meeks in L.A. Confidential. He was ready to service the Graphic in the police cell scene when his eventual mate took a photo as evidence to stop the beating of the guys who were set up.

Mind you Buzz could service almost anything!

Great film.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    Been looking to get into LF for a while, and I think I have settled on the Crown Graphic. Problem is, I don't know much about them operationally, and I can't find anybody local to show me around one.
    Where are you? I'd be happy to give you a thirty minute introduction to LF with the Crown Graphic. The fellow from whom I bought my first Crown did this for me...right in the Maxtor Corporate HQ parking lot! I'd be happy to "pay it forward".

Jason Brunner has also published some videos on you-tube concerning the Speed Graphic - which is kinda the same but different.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My thoughts - the Graflok back is nice to have (although ebay prices have gone nuts on any Graflex model it seems and maybe more so on the Graflok ones) and you should stay away from the top rangefinder model due to repairability issues (not to mention that they go for a premium as well). I actually only use my Graphics on a tripod with GG focusing anyway so condition of the Kalart rangefinder and adjustment of the infinity stops never matters to me. Also, you'll discover that parts cost a fortune - a lensboard will run you $30+ on ebay, so try to get one that won't require work. And, we won't even get into the cost of a ground glass focus panel with hood.

If you're in the NJ/NYC area, I could show you around one (I have a 2x3 crown and a 4x5 pacemaker speed, which is similar enough)

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller View Post
    What are the batteries for in the crown's rangefinder?

I sold a nice clean one on ebay recently. The buyer was bitching about the battery corrosion in the rangefinder. I ended up giving him $100 of the sale price back, and am still a little bitter about it. I didn't even know the darn thing had any batteries.
    There is a small light bulb up there. Press the red button and two images are projected out the front two "windows" of the range finder. When you have the focus set, the two faint images of the bulb filament will coincide.

A slick trick for focusing in a dim room without putting the camera up to your eye. Assumes you have the correct cam installed of course.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Okay, this is all good stuff, thanks. And thanks for the offer, Brad, but I'm up here in the great NW.

So am I right in my understanding of the back of the box? You can have a Graflok back which sounds like an adapter for either roll film holders (I understand they are expensive and hard to find) or 4X5 backs. But what if you just have the ground glass, then you need film holders designed specifically for this camera?

The thing is, if I could just find one to fiddle around with, I'm sure the answers to these questions would be self-evident. And I do plan on using it more like a field camera. That's actually what I was initially looking into, but they are out of my price range for good used stuff.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 4x5 film holder should fit in any 4x5 camera is my understanding. I've got a heavy studio Calumet and the holders are good there and in the CG.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just a word on "electronics": The very last model, the Super Graphic (very rare and expensive):
    http://www.cameraquest.com/supergrp.htm
    had an electronic shutter and a flash computer.

Other than that, the main electrical component you will find is a solenoid on lens boards. The function of this is to switch very heavy currents of the kind you would need to fire 40 flashbulbs all at once. Unless you want to do this, the solenoid is ornamental. you connect the flash directly to the shutter.

I know of no reason to avoid the later Crown Graphic with the top rangefinder - I have one and it's been very reliable. It has a battery door that tends to fall off - I have secured mine with a piece of insulating tape - I think you can buy repro replacements.

The saying "One man's meat is another man's poison" is illustrated by the statement that CG lens boards cost "a fortune" - to me, $30 is dirt cheap. You can double that for Sinar and triple it for Linhof! With Pacemaker Graphics (Crown and Speed), you have the rare privilege of being able to buy brand new lens boards for a 50-year-old camera.

Graphics are rugged and lightweight - they offer comparatively few camera movements, but they are my favorite choice for a 4x5" field camera. It's too bad about the prices - I bought a very nice top rangefinder Pacemaker Crown Graphic about 4 years ago for $180 - sadly, they seem to have gone up since!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    ... a solenoid on lens boards. The function of this is to switch very heavy currents of the kind you would need to fire 40 flashbulbs all at once. Unless you want to do this, the solenoid is ornamental. you connect the flash directly to the shutter.
    Isn't the purpose of the solenoid to trip the shutter, using the button on the flash handle?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Isn't the purpose of the solenoid to trip the shutter, using the button on the flash handle?
    Well spotted! I just expermented with my "office ornament" Crown Graphic and indeed firing the shutter does not trip the solenoid (I have never used the solenoid, but I thought it did). Even so, as the shutter has regular flash contacts (bipost type) as well, I can see no reason to use the solenoid unless the flash firing current is too high for the shutter.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Anytime you see the word "rare" in ebay with regards to something Graflex, you can probably ignore it as advertising hype. Roll backs are plentiful, and if you don't jump at the first one you see, they aren't expensive. I picked up a RH-10 for my 4x5 for around $45 minus a darkslide, which I canibalized out of an old Film Pack Holder (those are useless since the film is no longer available). As long as your graphic has a GG panel, you'll have no problem fitting any standard 4x5 holder under it. To use the roll film holder, you unclip the GG panel by pressing down on the two silver bars on the panel while sliding it to the right (make sure the body has two intact hooks - GG panel is useless otherwise). You put the roll film holder up against the back and slide the two silver bars on the camera down and up against the holder, locking it in place.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin