Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,809   Online: 911

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Crown Graphic, anyone?

Been looking to get into LF for a while, and I think I have settled on the Crown Graphic. Problem is, I don't know much about them operationally, and I can't find anybody local to show me around one.

I've done some searches, but the information I'm looking for is pretty mundane. Basically, what should I be looking for? I know I want the Schneider lens, because I already have a couple and they are outstanding. But what about film backs? Are these serviceable cameras? Is it absolutely necessary for the rangefinder to be functional? Or the electronics? Any accessories that should come with it? Film holders?

I was hoping that before I throw myself at the mercy of the bay, somebody could talk to me a little about it, or maybe direct me to a site where I could get a primer. Thanks everybody, I will check back in the P.M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have the electronics checked very carefully. Electronic repair people for a Crown Graphic are in short supply.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, Ok...

A Crown is a well designed light tight box. Nothing more, nothing less. You add the front of the box (a lens board with your choice of lens), a back (a focussing glass that is either replced by a roll film back or a film holder that slides in under the spring back). The range finder has to be calibrated to the lens. Is it neccessary? Not if you are focussing on the groundglass and using sheet film holders. It's just like a view camera. If you want speed and convenience of a roll film holder, the range finder is needed. I don't use one on any of my speeds or crowns.

You should also look into the view finders. There are a number of masks for the viewfinder depending on what roll film format and lens you are using.

Things to looks for? Broken tracks on the sliding rails. Holes in the bellows corners. Wrong ground glass spacing because someone added or took off the fresnel lens.

That's about it.

tim in san jose

P.S. there are no electronics.
    Last edited by k_jupiter; 03-13-2008 at 01:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: speling of corse
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Have the electronics checked very carefully. Electronic repair people for a Crown Graphic are in short supply.

tim in san jose
    you nearly had me going there...LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WWW.graflex.org is a good place to start, if you haven't found it yet.

Most Graphics won't come with a Scheider lens, but fitting one isn't a problem if you want. A functioning rangefinder is not essential if you are ok with ground glass focusing. As LF work goes, rangefinders are the exception rather than the rule, so you might as well get used to working from a GG anyway. The main advantage of a rangefinder is that you can work handheld, and you don't have to rely on zone focusing/estimating distance.

There are no electronics with Crown Graphics unless you count the flash and solenoid for tripping the shutter as electronic. Strictly speaking, I suppose they are, but not in the 2008 sense.

Some will come with film holders many do not. For cameras that are rescued from someone's grandfather's closet, the film holders probably aren't worth it anyway. Buy some recent Fidelty holders or similar from someone who can vouch for their integrity.
    a complete camera will have an optical viewfinder, the rangefinders were optional, but nearly all have it, a focusing hood on the back, and a lens. Accessories might include a flash, case, holders of various sorts, and cords for the flash.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah, I don't think there are any electronics repair people who service CGs.

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post

tim in san jose
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think there are any electronics repair people who service CGs.
    No, but there might be some that use them

My 2nd Speed Graphic did have electric circuitry, unfortunately the rear shutter was AOL so all that was left was the flash synch wiring.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are the batteries for in the crown's rangefinder?

I sold a nice clean one on ebay recently. The buyer was bitching about the battery corrosion in the rangefinder. I ended up giving him $100 of the sale price back, and am still a little bitter about it. I didn't even know the darn thing had any batteries.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a CG, and use it alot. I took the range finder off, as I never used it. It also fitted better into a camera bag I had without the rangefinder.
    My favorite filmholders are my oldest ones. I've got 18 obtained 2nd hand and only one was unusable. I find the newer looking ones harder to load, while the ones that look most beat-up load easily (maybe it's just about brands - I've never looked at them for brand names.) I'd suggest not turning down any old film holders, just test them with photopaper to see if they leak light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done some searches, but the information I'm looking for is pretty mundane. Basically, what should I be looking for? I know I want the Schneider lens, because I already have a couple and they are outstanding. But what about film backs? Are these serviceable cameras? Is it absolutely necessary for the rangefinder to be functional? Or the electronics? Any accessories that should come with it? Film holders?

You want to look for top rangefinder that can fitted with differnt cams for differnt lens, there is a webb site for graphics with templates to make differnt cams. Changing the cams is not a easy but can be done in the feild. Most late model crowns have graphlock backs that will take roll film backs as well as 4X5 backs. The standard rangefinder will couple with 135mm or sometimes a 127mm lens. If you have the right cams you can also couple a 150 and I think a 240, (may be wrong about the 240) and a 90mm. Most came with either a Kodak Ektar or a Wollensake 135. Make sure you have the linkage that couples the shutter release on the body to the shutter release on the lens. Some folks remove the rangefinder and use the crown as a feild camera. I really like the rangefinder, beging able to shoot hand held is very useful. Sometimes on Ebay a kit comes up, Crown or Speed in a fitted case, filters, filter adptors and a bulb flash with roll backs. You will of course need a meter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin