Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,522   Online: 1034

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Graflex Pre-Anniversary

Hello All,
    I have a Pre+Anniversary with a spring back and a Crown with a Graflok back and my question is are they interchangeable? They look like they match up pretty well but I am worried about the focal plane shutter. Will it be a problem??
    Thanks
    Arthur

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    They should be, but why would you want to?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both cameras will accept international dark-slides (film holders) and certain roll-film backs - those designed for spring-backs. But that's as far as inter-changeability goes. The Graflock back will of course accept all types of international roll film holder.

The simple answer is no I have both cameras and they are quite different no parts are interchangeable, the focussing rails and front standards differ, as do the lens-boards. I bought two Graphics last 18 months ago off ebay sold to make one good one from the two the seller neglecting to say one was pre-Anniversary and the other A Pacemaker Speed Graphic, so I know from experience how different the parts are.

Don't worry about the focal plane shutter, if it works great it's an option you can use, otherwise just leave it open and use the camera as if it doesn't exist.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given the choice of your Korona or a Crown Graphic I'd keep the Korona, Graphics aren't as versatile, and the movements are terrible, virtually useless.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    They should be, but why would you want to?
    Sorry, my bad. Reading too late at night and not thinking thoroughly. I thought you were asking about changing out the spring back for Graflok. Most, if not all, other parts will not interchange. Which one are you trying to repair? What parts are you short? Pacemaker parts are widely available on ebay. I have a smattering of parts from a 3x4 anniversary lying around but only a few will fit (I bought what was supposed to be a 4x5 in pieces on ebay and it turned out to be a 3x4). As a result, I've discovered that the entire shutter mechanism (although not the FP shutter itself) is interchangeable between a 3x4 and 4x5 anniversary graphic (and the 2x3 looks to be the same as well)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The simple answer is no...
    I'm not sure about the pre-anny, but I have an early Anniversary Graphic (1940) which has the Graflex back replaced with a 1960s -era Graflok back. It works just fine... even the focal plane shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apologies, I mis-read the original question, yes the whole back assembly can probably be swapped, by interchangeable I was thinking easily like changing a lens board etc. The shutter is not relevant and will work fine, the backs on my Pacemaker Crown & Speed Graphics are the same.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin