Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,491   Online: 658

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    A small caveat. I have found carbon fiber tripods to be unstable in wind with the sail a field camera creates. I actually prefer a heavy tripod for the 4x5. (until I have to carry it )
    Could you recommend a good non-carbon fiber tripod?

Regards,
    Erik Ehrling (Sweden)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Since you're in Sweden, have you looked at Stabil?

I use a Stabil "Tredel" for the big heavy cameras whenever I can transport it easily, and a Manfrotto 055MF if I travel by air. The two heads, a giant Unilock and a small(ish) Giottos ballhead, get switched from one tripod to the other depending on camera weight.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Since you're in Sweden, have you looked at Stabil?

I use a Stabil "Tredel" for the big heavy cameras whenever I can transport it easily, and a Manfrotto 055MF if I travel by air. The two heads, a giant Unilock and a small(ish) Giottos ballhead, get switched from one tripod to the other depending on camera weight.
    Ole

thanks for that link! I must say though that I don't quite understand the details on the site
    For example, one of them is listed as
    Length: folded/extended: ,65/,144 m.

so its 65cm when folded and 14.4cm when extended?

however they look very tempting
    Theory: you understand why it should work but it doesn't
    Practice: it works but you have no idea how
    Here theory and practice meet, things don't work and I don't know why
    Homepages: here Blog: here

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I hadn't noticed, since I didn't look at the English version until now. The Swedish measurements are correct. It seems he's had some difficulties translating Swedish cm to English cm...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    For my CG I use a Manfrotto 190Pro with a 410 Jr. Geared Head. The tripod is compact and sturdy enough and the geared head is great for 3-way precision. Plus it had big, rubbery knobs instead of long handles, which I like. There are also a lock behind each knob for free movement on that axis instead of geared movement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Ehrling View Post
    Could you recommend a good non-carbon fiber tripod?

Regards,
    Erik Ehrling (Sweden)
    Despite it weight, I have been very happy with my 5kg Manfrotto tripod (144B, I don't know if it's still produced...). Yes, it's a lot of weight to carry, but I have successfully carried it for hikes up to about 15-20 km's, tucked away in a good rucksack. It will easily hold my view camera (Tachihara) and my Minolta Dynax 7 including 70-200 2.8 and 2x converter...

However, whatever you choose, just a few general tips:
    - Avoid tripods with "geared columns" AS THE PLAGUE, columns that need to be heightened by turning round a handle. Although this may sound nice, in practice these systems can break up and worse of all, if sand get's in between the column and cog-wheels, the sand will grind away on the columns gear. It will be ruined...
    - The same holds for tripods that use "screw-threads" for fastening the extendable legs. Again, if sand get's in the threads, they will fail. Threads should be avoided on any tripod.

You can not use these kind of tripods in desert / beach type situations, especially with some wind throwing up sand. They are only suitable for studio's in my opinion.

Look for tripods using clamp like fasteners for the extendable legs and heightening the central column, like most Manfrotto tripods have.
    Last edited by Marco B; 03-16-2008 at 12:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, I've been using a Manfrotto 190 for years now with Nikon 801, Toyo studio 4x5 and new D300 and never had a problem. nice light and compatc to carry as a bonus.

Cheers,
    Brett

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    I'm looking for a new tripod. It needs to be able to handle my Graphic View or Canon SLR with 70-200 f2.8 lens. I'd also like something small and light enough to be strapped to the outside of a daypack for hiking. Oh, and I don't want to spend more than $200 for tripod and head. Any thoughts on a good choice? Price might be flexible since I'd have no problem looking for a used one.

Thanks,
    Dan
    I have a manfrotto 055B pro with three way head that I picked up for about $200 (it's got a bogen branded equivalent in some other countries). It's excellent with my shenhao & anything I've thrown at it on the DSLR end of the spectrum, and will even support my old wooden conley 8x10 with 6000 lb turner reich triple convertible (albeit JUST BARELY - I'm going to eventually get a more sturdy one for the 8x10 as it's really beyond its capacity at this point). The 055 isn't as light as the CF equivalents, but I've hauled it all over the place without problems, day-long hikes, that kind of thing.

Woohoo - POST # 666 |,,|, O_O .|..|
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    well I don't know what bogen / manfrotto are doing now, but their products are not what they were (comparing my well over 10 year old with my new one. The leg clamps are nice, but put a laser pointer on your camera and trigger it off ... mine moves the dot on the wall through 3mm or more with a lightweight Toho 4x5 (weighs less than 3Kg with lens). The seiko leaf shutter is not really much of a vibration inducer yet it shows in the red dot and in some images. I first picked this up while wondering why my images here in Finland were so soft, I was about to blame the ADOX film, when I checked the image carefully I found that there was an oval blur around the red LED on the stereo in the test shot. When I checked the digital reference I'd taken, none was found.

this tiny amount of vibration is enough to take the 'edge' off what should be a sharper image.

I wonder how many people blame their lenses when it's probably the tripod.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When I took this image for example

click for bigger view

I used the older tripod. I've got a print of it hanging in my stair case which is over 120cm high and you can view it nicely even at 30cm viewing distance. People often put their glasses on to see it better ;-)

So I know something is not the same between new and old manfrotto 190
    Last edited by pellicle; 03-19-2008 at 04:16 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add remark about click

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin