Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,148   Online: 956

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    But if you have to carry a rock around, what's the point of having a carbon fiber tripod?
    Well, thats why I shoot in the ROCKY Mountains

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm considering a Berlebach tripod. I found a general reference to them in this thread by name. The tripod I'm now using is fairly solid for 35mm, etc. but not really suitable for my 4x5 (Cambo). I'm having something of a tough time deciding between models. I like the idea of the models that already incorporate a leveling head. Does anyone have any experience with specific models or have recommendations? I'm looking at the first four columns below. Thanks in advance for your input.

http://www.photobooksonline.com/books/chart.html
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I'm considering a Berlebach tripod. I found a general reference to them in this thread by name. The tripod I'm now using is fairly solid for 35mm, etc. but not really suitable for my 4x5 (Cambo). I'm having something of a tough time deciding between models. I like the idea of the models that already incorporate a leveling head. Does anyone have any experience with specific models or have recommendations? I'm looking at the first four columns below. Thanks in advance for your input.

http://www.photobooksonline.com/books/chart.html
    I have a Berlebach tripod with two piece legs (i.e. 1 knob) and the leveling head. I like the leveling head but it is not a good replacement for a regular tripod head. It would work in a pinch but does not have a full range of movements. I looked into getting a quick release adapter for it and the cost of it plus the quick release plate resulted in the purchase of an Acratech ball head.

I like the two piece legs for ease of setup but it makes the folded tripod long so it does not easily fit into regular padded cases. I bought a long model of a case and still have to remove the head from the tripod.

The tripod itself is excellent and I would buy it again.
    Last edited by jeroldharter; 07-17-2008 at 04:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerold,

Thanks for the quick reply. Based on what you wrote, would it make sense then to get a model without the leveling head and just provide my own ball head?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Jerold,

Thanks for the quick reply. Based on what you wrote, would it make sense then to get a model without the leveling head and just provide my own ball head?
    That is what I would do because it is lighter. As I recall, my center post came in two pieces but I removed the bottom piece and never raise the remaining short post. That reduces the weight a little bit.

I like the Acratech head for the money. It is by far the lightest out there. I have not had any problems with it. I read about problems with "flop." I tighten it down solidly, but not heroicly, and it works fine.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    A small caveat. I have found carbon fiber tripods to be unstable in wind with the sail a field camera creates. I actually prefer a heavy tripod for the 4x5. (until I have to carry it )
    I agree! I have a 1227 carbon fiber Gitzo, and I almost never use it. I'd much rather use my Gitzo tele Studex, even with 35mm.

Another vote for an old Tilt All.

I've got one for my Graphic View II and the aluminium makes for a nice match as well as being a very sturdy combination. I even use it with a 5x7 Speed Graphic and an 8x10 Gowland Aerial with no worries.

The Camera cost $110, tripod $60, an original case $10 and three Riteway holders for $9 (I already had a 162mm Velostigmat and 203 Ektar mounted on "c" boards as well as a few Baco holders) I look on it as kind of an insurance policy for when I'm too old to lug the 8x10 'dorff around!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post

Another vote for an old Tilt All.
    John,

What model Tiltall? The ones I've seen seem to be rated for a max. of 7.7 lb. load. I think my Cambo would be pressing that a bit.

Images
    The "standard" for Tripods is the classic 6 pound TILTALL (including built-in pan/tilt head) made for several years by E. Leitz. It is the best combination of quality/price/weight/usability. They are available used on ebay for under $100, and seem to last forever.
    You can get lighter carbon fiber pods, but they will cost a lot more, and the built-in head is as good or better than most $150 seperate heads.
    Currently they are made in China, but the quality has gone down.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've now had my 3021/3447 for a month or two and have used it extensively with GVII (photo attached) and Canon DSLR. It's been performing great - solid, stable, easy to adjust. My only issue with it is the size and weight - wish it were lighter. And, I've had several occassions (such as shown) where I only extended one portion of the legs and used the center column or it would have been too tall.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8209.jpg  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin