Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,521,995   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Tripod Recommendation for 4x5?

I'm looking for a new tripod. It needs to be able to handle my Graphic View or Canon SLR with 70-200 f2.8 lens. I'd also like something small and light enough to be strapped to the outside of a daypack for hiking. Oh, and I don't want to spend more than $200 for tripod and head. Any thoughts on a good choice? Price might be flexible since I'd have no problem looking for a used one.

Thanks,
    Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm using a Gitzo 1228 which is working out well for my new 4x5 and it's been great for my Nikon SLR+ 80-200 and my medium format gear. The Gitzo prices are really crazy, but I'd take a serious look at the Feisol carbon fiber tripods that Kerry Thalman is offering at Reallybigcameras.com--an APUG sponsor. Frankly, it looks, like you get 90% of the Gitzo at a third of the price. They have the equivalent tripod to the 1228 for $175 without a center column (which isn't recommended anyway). They just came out with their latest generation and are offering the old prices for a few more days--so I'd jump on that deal and look for a used head.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A second-hand Tiltall has given me perfect service for over 35 years. New Tiltalls are made overseas, and I can't vouch for their quality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am using a Bogen 3443 carbon fiber tripod and a Kirk BH-3 head.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am seriously considering a Gitzo 3530LSV+Markins M20 setup for my Nikon FM3A 35mm, do you reckon it would be stable enough also for a large format 4x5 camera? Any other recommendations?

(This is actually only speculation - if I happen to fall into the trap of buying a large format camera, that is... )

Regards,
    Erik Ehrling (Sweden)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used a Husky Quikset for everything. I have traveled with it but it is heavy, definitely not like a carbon fiber or anything. Second hand, it ran me about $30. Three way pan tilt head.

The one disadvantage is that you can't change heads and I haven't found a way to stick a bogen/manfrotto one on (and I don't think I ever will either)

It's held a 4x5 speed graphic with 15" wollensak tele optar just fine. That was the test for me. Otherwise it's sturdy and inexpensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's arguably true that the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 pod with a 3047 head is the all time classic, utilitarian combination for all formats through 4x5. They are certainly likely to be available on the bay, but are in more expensive, and differently numbered iterations new. I'm sure you can get good examples of them for what you've budgeted or less.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    A small caveat. I have found carbon fiber tripods to be unstable in wind with the sail a field camera creates. I actually prefer a heavy tripod for the 4x5. (until I have to carry it )

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dan

I just bought another manfroto 190 ... my old one was great, this one sucks. There is a new 'snazzy' stem that comes out and then drops to the side. The section where the head joins on looks like its metal, but its actually plastic.

my LF camera is like a 20Hz tuning fork prong on it. Sure its stable but shit it wobbles.

My solution has been to run a drinking straw (no kidding) from the front standard down to one of the legs and use a blob of blue tac on each end to 'attach'. This seems to nicely dampen out the vibrations. I liked the idea enough that I now run another straw between front and back standard for extra stability on my Toho camera.
    Theory: you understand why it should work but it doesn't
    Practice: it works but you have no idea how
    Here theory and practice meet, things don't work and I don't know why
    Homepages: here Blog: here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    A second-hand Tiltall has given me perfect service for over 35 years. New Tiltalls are made overseas, and I can't vouch for their quality.
    beat me to it

tiltall tripods are worth their weight in gold.
    i have been using one for 20 years ... used it
    with a graphic view II, speed graphic and graflex slr.
    one leg removes and it can be used as a monopod as well...

a while back one was one for sale here in the classifieds,
    its not there now, but maybe it is still for sale ...

john
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin