Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,966   Posts: 1,632,560   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Linhof 5x7 - which version ?

Hey

I´m new to this great site, and hope you can help me.

I am offered this Linhof 5x7 with a Symmar 210/5.6 lens mounted on original Linhof lensboard. Lens is recently serviced, and seller announces that camera is in perfect shape. It takes 5x7 international film inserts

Can you tell me which version this is - i have no serialnumber for the camera.

And my second question - which lensboards will fit this 5x7. Will normal lensboards of the 4x5 do it..... I fear they won´t.

And thirdly - is there any adapter for mounting 4x5 lensboards on a 5x7 adapter ?

How much is a fair price for this ?

Cee

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Fair price" is up to you and the seller - but once upon a time I paid NOK 4500 for the one in my avatar picture (with 300mm f:4.5 Xenar lens).

5x7" Technika lensboards will fit. Nothing else, although there are adapter lensboards out there. the problem is that the're even rarer than the cameras!

The good news is that the lens boards are fairly simple, and having one made isn't going to ruin you. Check with Sk Grimes...

And then...

That is possibly the best of all 5x7" cameras. I currently use a Gandolfi Traditional 7x5" instead of the Technika, but those two are the only two 5x7" cameras that I've ever seen that even come close to being 100% reliable and stable.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This could well be a MkIV 5x7 Technika, it looks very similar to mine. My reasons. The front standard has the three red lines on each side, and it has a release lever for front tilt (backward only), and the positioning of the release knobs for the rear movements (upper ones on top of the camera, the lower ones on the sides).

The lensboards are larger than those of the MkIV 4x5 Technikas, but I think are the same size as the MkIII 4x5 Technikas (about 129 mm square). I don't think Linhof ever produced an adapter board to take the MkIV 4x5 boards, but I had mine converted by Linhof & Studio in the UK (they also did a Kardan lensboard for me, so all of my lenses are now on 4x5 boards).

Oh, and I was lucky. I got mine in a house clearance auction for about £400 (about 3800 DKK).
    Last edited by snallan; 03-14-2008 at 06:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added currency conversion
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys.

Ole - you state that you paid 4500 NOK for your 5x7/3 Technika - so given Steve´s comment that this may well be a 5x7/4 - what would a fair price be. I offered him 700 Euro´s.

Is this fair or a bargain ?

Well maybe i will just visit a blacksmith to have him cut out som nice replica-lensboards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    // Ole

I just found a post of 16. april 2004 where you state this :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have bouhgt several lensboards on ebay.de, and finally found a Linhof/Linhof adapter which allows me to use the "small Technika boards" on the big Technika. It's a lot easier, so keep looking!
    Can you please post a picture of that adapter ?

Claus Stensgaard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Based on the prices Ole and I paid for our Technikas, I reckon 700 Euro is very fair. And if Ole doesn't have a photo of the adapter board, I will photograph mine and post it (I have to borrow one of those damn-fangled d*****l imaging computer sort of thingies ).
    Steve

Website

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The adapter board looks like this:

Just remember that I no longer own it (or the camera), so I can't post more views from different angles.

€700 seems - fair. For both parts of the trade, so it's no a bargain. It's just - a fair price,
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Steve

A true analogue user.... imagining you on a horse and carriage with your largeformat ;-) Making masterpieces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLemon View Post
    Hey Steve

A true analogue user.... imagining you on a horse and carriage with your largeformat ;-) Making masterpieces
    Arrrrr, that I be! I just wish I had been able to think of Ole's tag line first, I love the thought of being a "Luddite Elitist".

And me a software developer as well!
    Steve

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes - It´s the stride of our times...... but i´m sure that both Hoffa and other Luddite elitist´s dissapeared in the wink of an eye.....

Let´s join this Niépce battle

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin