Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,110   Online: 1142

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Gitzo G2272M head?

Has anybody used a Gitzo G2272M head with 4x5 or bigger cameras? From the pictures I've seen of it there appears to be some sort of leaver for the quick release on the left side of the head that looks like it might get in the way of the cameras base. Gitzo has it in their suggested heads section for LF cameras, but I just want to be sure.

http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitz...detailPid=5268

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Murray, I've used this head for a couple of years, for 4x5 and smaller. My 4x5 is a Horseman FA metal field cam and a Calumet-copy Tachihara woodfield, and it works fine with both of them. I have 4x5 monorail, but no way I would put on this head, it goes on the bogen 3047. The lever on the left side tightens the QR plate down snug, it operates on a "half turn", hard to explain, but it does not get in the way of the camera. My only disappointment has been I recently purchased a Gitzo 3530s pod, which is a series 3, and the 2272m head (which is a series 2, smaller diameter base than the systematic plate) will not do 100% vertical without rotating the QR plate on the cam 90 degrees. However, this is not an issue with 4x5, and goes away when I put on the 1321 leveling base. I wish gitzo made a PT head for series 3, I've seen some on ebay, but they look like soemthing out of star wars. good luck, Tom Seattle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks a bunch Tom

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's another quick question if you don't mind, Tom - have you ever had it in sub freezing weather and did the 'fluid' in the head get thick, making it hard to move?

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    Here's another quick question if you don't mind, Tom - have you ever had it in sub freezing weather and did the 'fluid' in the head get thick, making it hard to move?

Murray

No, not below freezing, here in Seattle winters average 40-something weenie-shrinking degrees...("LA Story" - steve martin). Better off finding someone in Fairbanks or Finland! Even if I am in Cascades lately, it's above freezing, and roads are clear. It's a nice head, a lot smoother than the 3047 for sure. Gitzo catalog refers to "fluid cartridges" but no further specs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks again, Tom!

Sorry (never saw the movie) but I'm quite familiar with the effect during deeper stream crossings...brrrrrrrrr

Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use the G2270M - the large base plate without the quick release. My 4kg field camera is supported wonderfully.
    I've used it at -7 degrees celsius, with no ill effect, just shame that the copal shutter decided it was too cold

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin