Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,690   Online: 783

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If the clearcoat is a varnish then I'm betting the warping is coming from finishing. If you seal one side and not the other you'll get different drying rates.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well, that may be true. I don't recall. I don't think it ever got to the finish stage thou. Seems like I remember that they warped right after the glue. Anyway I made some out of solid mahogany that were about the correct size and after routing and cutting the hole I stained and painted and clear coated. I am still using the boards.

lee\c

If it happened that quickly then I'm guessing the wood was bad and not much you could have done would have changed things. It was likely dried too fast.

My last board was made out of beech. A wood not known to be very stable. Nothing more then a flat board I used the bandsaw to cut the rabbets. It's flat.

Oak should be even better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe that my lack of warping comes from using the model airplane plywood - it's multiple layers glued together and designed for minimum warping. It's also designed to stand up to a good deal of stress.
    juan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin