Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,488   Online: 893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

B&J ORBIT 4x5 Now I own one!?!?

Hi,

I was bored today, so I decided to pick up a B&J ORBIT 4x5 Monorail view camera w/ILEX No. 4 ACME SYNCHRO with 6 film holders, 1 polaroid holder and a bunch of other stuff.

The auction said it was in great condition. BTW, did I mention I know nothing about large format photography.

What can folks tell me about this camera and lens? Also, can I substitute other lenses? If so, what do I need to know?

Much thanks, and I hope I made a good decision on my fist large format camera.

Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First of all that's not the lens name that's the shutter. Should be some info on the glass.

IIRC the Orbit is like the Calumet CC400 and a Kodak camera. Any lens that can fit the lensboard and isn't too long or too wide for the bellows can be fitted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Step 1, Buy a copy of Using the View Camera by Steve Simmons

"Ilex No. 4 Acme Syncro" sounds like the shutter actually, the lens is probably somewhere between a 150 and 210 mm focal length which is a good focal length for this sort of camera. If the lens is reasonably clear, it will likely be good enough to get started with, at the very least.

You can substitute other lenses. It's fine for a first LF, metal monorails aren't the most desirable for field use, but they are easy to work with.

Welcome to the club!

Barry

Shooter
    35mm
    Nick,
    The camera is still in the mail, but I think I can make out from the picture that it reads Kodak Ectar 7 ½ in. f: 4.5

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Barry. I ordered that book yesterday. I can't wait to get started with this camera. It's being delivered on Thursday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the lens is in good shape it'll be just fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    What's the equivalent of this lens in 35mm? Are we talking standard, portrait, telephoto?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Normal. Pretty close to 50mm in 35mm terms.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 7 1/2 inch would be around 200 mm which is actually equivalent to a slight telephoto, maybe an 80mm or so on a 35.
    On a camera like that however, that focal length is a pretty common general purpose lens. It gives you a good working distance for studio work, and good prospective for portraits. It's fine for field work too, but it is not a wide-angle. A "normal" lens on a 4x5 is 135 - 150 mm. In the LF realm it's easier to think of lenses in terms of image size and field of view rather than "wide", "normal" or "telephoto".

Shooter
    Large Format
    That's a good camera, I had an opportunity to pick up a similar camera. I think it may have been the B&J Saturn. The Ektar lens should be pretty decent. Have fun with it, and if you decide it's not for you i'm sure you could sell it for what you paid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin