Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,554   Posts: 1,621,665   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

GREAT NEW WAY TO CARRY YOUR 8X10

Okay it isn't a new way it is a updated way. I'm heading to Yosemite in 6 weeks and was planning on taking my 4x5 ebony, with readyloads. But after seeing the $$ of readyloads since the last time I purchased them I almost had a heart attack. So realizing I would have to go with holders ( this is on a plane not by car.) I started thinking of weight and using my 8x10 ebony.

Now what I had done with my 4x5 and 5 lens + holder for my ready loads I called Bruce at Photobackpackers and found that using a redwing pack and his modules would keep everything from dirt, mositure and dust away along with orginizing everthing. But changeing to film holders instead of ready loads would increase the weight so after replacing with 8 holders, the total weight was 21.5 lbs case and all equipment. This pack is outstanding and very protective.

BUT WHY NOT TAKE THE 8x10 IF YOU HAVE TO RELOAD FILM HOLDERS?
    1) weight and being 55 year old and work sitting down and not going to the gym, this makes carring anything in Yosemite important as long as weight is concerned.
    2) type if cases that have been used to this point. Not good back support. and hard to orginize non photo packs.

I went back to Bruces website only to find the main page has changed and he is using a Redwing pack for the 8x10. Not any Redwing pack, but a revised pack just for photo called the Redwing P1. He is also having P2 made. The same but heavier duty, better back support to. I will be able to place:

1) 8x10 Ebony
    2) wollemsak 300mm triple convertible lens on a 5.5 lens board (Sinar style)
    3) 165 mm Schniender wide angle same board
    4) 6- 8x10 holders + acessories
    Total weight 29.5 lbs
    Again everything is in a separate compartment sealed from the dirt.
    One added thing I could and may add one more lens depending if I can get a 210mm that will cover 8x10 at the right price.

About the Tripod. you can add it to the side of the pack but I tend to like to carry it on my shoulder, its a GT3540 Gitzo and very very light compared to my Ries tripods.
    Just thought I would share my experiences with you all I hope I helped some one
    regards
    Michael Andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Sounds like a good plan! Unless you're going on an extended hike, remember that most stuff in Yosemite Valley isn't going to be too far from the road and since you won't have a car, keep in mind that the public transportation within the valley is excellent. Even Glacier Point, Mariposa Grove and Tuolumne Meadows are served by public transportation.

Make sure there is room in that pack for plenty of mosquito dope!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Don't carry all this stuff on your back!!!!!!!!!

Get a used 3-wheeled child jogging stroller designed for mom and dad athletes. Pack all your gear on it, and roll the stuff to wherever you want to go.

Get the type with full suspension.

Enough said.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sounds like you are all set! I just came back from Yosemite and I had a somewhat similar set-up that works fine, though closer to 45 pounds. I do have a 210mm with me...a nice light weight barrel lens. I use an off-the-shelf touring backpack. I occasionally have trouble with my lower back (I am a much younger 53) and I find that my lower back feels better with the pack on. I use a Reis pod (A series w/ double tilt head), and I put up with the extra weight because the pod also is a great climbing assist tool for when I am scrambling up and down the rocks.

One uses what one has...and modifies the set-up to match one's needs.

A cart is fine, but 95% of the places I explore a cart would be a hinderance. And I prefer not to leave footprints in fragile environments, if at all possible...leaving a set of tire tracks would be a bummer. So for me, that would limit a cart's use to paved and hard-packed trails...and for that I'd like to get an 8x10 camera-sized trailer for my bicycle!

We gave away our stroller we used for our triplets. I use to take the boys on 5 to 8 miles walks just about everyday....up creek beds, on hiking trails, on the beach and even the mall. I could have modified that puppy nicely!

vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9793 View Post
    Okay it isn't a new way it is a updated way. I'm heading to Yosemite in 6 weeks and was planning on taking my 4x5 ebony, with readyloads. But after seeing the $$ of readyloads since the last time I purchased them I almost had a heart attack. So realizing I would have to go with holders ( this is on a plane not by car.) I started thinking of weight and using my 8x10 ebony.

Now what I had done with my 4x5 and 5 lens + holder for my ready loads I called Bruce at Photobackpackers and found that using a redwing pack and his modules would keep everything from dirt, mositure and dust away along with orginizing everthing. But changeing to film holders instead of ready loads would increase the weight so after replacing with 8 holders, the total weight was 21.5 lbs case and all equipment. This pack is outstanding and very protective.

1) weight and being 55 year old and work sitting down and not going to the gym, this makes carring anything in Yosemite important as long as weight is concerned.
    2) type if cases that have been used to this point. Not good back support. and hard to orginize non photo packs.

I went back to Bruces website only to find the main page has changed and he is using a Redwing pack for the 8x10. Not any Redwing pack, but a revised pack just for photo called the Redwing P1. He is also having P2 made. The same but heavier duty, better back support to. I will be able to place:

1) 8x10 Ebony
    2) wollemsak 300mm triple convertible lens on a 5.5 lens board (Sinar style)
    3) 165 mm Schniender wide angle same board
    4) 6- 8x10 holders + acessories
    Total weight 29.5 lbs
    Again everything is in a separate compartment sealed from the dirt.
    One added thing I could and may add one more lens depending if I can get a 210mm that will cover 8x10 at the right price.

About the Tripod. you can add it to the side of the pack but I tend to like to carry it on my shoulder, its a GT3540 Gitzo and very very light compared to my Ries tripods.
    Just thought I would share my experiences with you all I hope I helped some one
    regards
    Michael Andersen
    Great! That's the Way (in a backpack) that I carry my 8x10 Wehman, lenses, 8x10 film holders and carbon fiber tripod, etc.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format

In 6 weeks you can make some improvement in your condition using simple body weight exercises like pushups, squats, sit ups, walking etc. Speaking as a current 48 yo couch potato, ex-athlete. Sounds like a fun trip, though. Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Look for an older, single coated, Fujinon-W. The older lenses have the lens data inscribed on the front element retaining ring (where as the new ones have it inscribed around the outside of the front cell.) It will cover 8x10 with room for movements.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Mike, have a great time in Yosemite. If you have a car or hotel room you can reload there. I was with Vaughn in Yosemite and I have an REI travel pack for the 8x10. It carries a lot. I usually have 4-5 lenses 6 holders and all the other stuff you need and I can do 3-5 miles in a day. It comes in at about 40 lbs. I'm 5'6" and 57. Still in decent shape but need to step it up a bit for the 8x20 and 11x14 that will go on my back next time. You can do some squats with weights in the time you have. It will really help.
    I ran into Bruce at Muir Woods last year and he wanted to see the pack I had. He makes great packs for us and at the time he told me that the 8x10 and larger packs were on the drawing board. Have a great time and let us see some images from the trip.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 03-19-2008 at 08:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: left out some info

For those who do want something with wheels take a look at:
    http://www.sherpacart.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mike,
    I don't notice any mention of film-changing gear. The Lodge bathrooms all have windows, so it won't be a dark room. You'll burn through 12 sheets rather quickly, and will want to change film in the daylight hours as well. My personal recommendation is the Harrison tent--mid-sized for 8X10. Weighs 2+ lbs. but good in motel rooms and tailgates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin