Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,160   Online: 1079

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Schneider symmar 150/265 lens.

I have today baught a Sinar Norma outfit with a Schneider symmar 150 / 265 lens. Can you tell me if my assumption that removeing the rear elements converts it from 150 to 265 is correct. I have never come across this type of lens before and would be interested to hear peoples oppinion of it.

Thanks.

Regards Paul.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, you remove the front cell to get a 265mm lens.

This leaves the shutter blades exposed, but unless the conditions are very crappy that's nothing to worry about.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thank you Ole, that was my first mistake and I have only owned the camera 6 hours.

Regards Paul.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    6 hours and only one mistake - that's really good!

BTW the 150mm symmar is a pretty good 150mm lens; as a 265 it is prone to chromatic aberration in the corners of 4x5". It will be sharper than enlarging the central part of a 4x5" negative 1.77 times extra, but not as sharp as a negative shot with a "real" 265mm lens. The center of a negative shot with a converted Symmar is pretty good, so if you need to crop/enlarge even more it can be really useful.

In other words I will only recommend the converted lens if that's the only way to get the shot. Or if you want fuzzy corners.
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ah that was owned not used. Once again thanks Ole.

Regards Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found that my 210/370 converts with either the front OR the back, though it seems a little sharper with the back on, I can actually use it on my 4x5 with the front on since it moves the nodal point further forward.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I also have a 150/265 (with some very slight fogging in it) and it performs well - helps me out with high contrast scenes, in fact

My multicoated rodenstock lenses are sharper, but I won't hesitate to use the 150 or 265 configurations of the symmar when I need those focal lengths.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Large Format
    I haven't used this exact lens, but I do have a convertable (?14-19-26?) Wollensak that I still use on my 11x14. It was my first (and at that time only) 11x14 lens, so I used it in single cel mode often. What hasn't been mentioned is filters. If you are shooting B&W, then adding a yellow or orange filter to the single cel will significantly improve the apparent resolution. Great trick for B&W, looks "rather odd" with color film ;-)

Tom

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=33467 was shot with a converted Symmar 150mm, and http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=33468 is an enlargement of the top right corner showing chromatic aberration (and quite a bit of astigmatism, too).
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin