Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,688   Online: 992

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Who has expericience with KEH lens grading?

I have been looking at quite a few lenses at KEH, but what I can afford at the moment is either marked UG (Ugly) or BGN (bargin). I understand what they say has the description of these two grades, but want to hear from somebody that may have bought something with these grades and if all is accurate in the description. The description is a little scary and I'm not sure it is worth it to risk or wait some more and save the extra $100 - $150 to get the higher grades.

Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jerk151 View Post
    I have been looking at quite a few lenses at KEH, but what I can afford at the moment is either marked UG (Ugly) or BGN (bargin). I understand what they say has the description of these two grades, but want to hear from somebody that may have bought something with these grades and if all is accurate in the description. The description is a little scary and I'm not sure it is worth it to risk or wait some more and save the extra $100 - $150 to get the higher grades.

Thanks
    hi

i have never bought an ugly lens from them
    only "bargain" lenses - large format as well
    as 35mm ... they have always been in such good
    condition that i couldn't believe that i got such a good deal

good luck,
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think KEH BGN products are just fine, sometimes even better. I've gotten a few cameras that way, and while some of them had some slight cosmetic dings, they all worked wonderfully for me. The LF lens I bought from them in BGN condition looked brand new, I couldn't find anything wrong with it at all except for some very slight cleaning marks on the glass. I have no experience with the UG stuff but for a lens I would stay away from it since you won't know what the glass will look like.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think most folks will tell you that KEH's "Bargain" is most other folks' "EX". Also, keep in mind that KEH has an outstanding return policy - if you don't like it, just send it back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never try Ugly. Bargain could sometimes be hit or miss.

Jason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    To see how they grade things, just go to their site and request a quote for something fictional of yours. You will see how the questions they ask relate to the grade they give. What some may see as a minor flaw can lower their ratings severely.

As Scott mentions, they have a very nice return policy. I've needed it a few times and never had a problem with it.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a $100 difference I happily buy bargain grade from KEH. If it's less then $50 or so I'll upgrade not because the bargain will be bad but the higher grades are often so close to brand new that the small difference is a small price to pay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought one odd lens that was only available as Ugly - it was scratched up, but worked perfectly. I've bought several Bargain lenses and they were what I would call very good.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's all great to hear, thank you all I have my eye on a couple.

Of course I just checked and they have changed a few things within the last couple of hours. So one of them is gone, then there are these two

1)270mm F5.5 Schneider Tele-xenar w/ compur
    2)210mm F5.6 Fujinon-L w/ copal

The 240mm is the one that is no longer there. I am looking for lots of camera movement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm assuming 4x5. The Fuji L is a copy of the old Kodak lenses. More then enough coverage for 5x7 so lots of movements for 4x5.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin