Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,321   Posts: 1,536,863   Online: 1124
      
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    ...
    Oh, and if the image is upside down, take the ground glass off and rotate it 180 degrees...
    The last time I tried it, it didn't help. So I took the whole camera and put it on the tripod upside down - it works like charm!

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Eastern, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,020
    Images
    55
    [QUOTE=infest;631466]The last time I tried it, it didn't help. So I took the whole camera and put it on the tripod upside down - it works like charm![
    oh tha/QUOTE]

    oh thas jus silly

    it's obvious the lens is wrong way up

  3. #23

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    22
    [QUOTE=Ray Heath;631636]
    Quote Originally Posted by infest View Post
    The last time I tried it, it didn't help. So I took the whole camera and put it on the tripod upside down - it works like charm![
    oh tha/QUOTE]

    oh thas jus silly

    it's obvious the lens is wrong way up
    Been there, done that. For some reason it didn't work. That's how I found out the new method...

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chester, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    36
    Thanks all for your instructive, interesting and funny comments! I have ended up doing exactly what Steve suggests, and found that, somewhat ironically, when the GG is placed the correct way round, there is a mismatch of 3mm, yes, 3mm, between the GG surface and the actual film plane in a standard Fidelity holder.

    Its off to the hobby shop for me now, to find some brass or hardwood panel in exactly 3mm thickness... wish me luck!

    Thanks again and keep up the good work... this is a great website.

    Cheers
    Adrian

  5. #25
    df cardwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dearborn,Michigan & Cape Breton Island
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,342
    Images
    8
    Please post a picture of your camera
    An early Century might be made for different film holder specs than we use today.

  6. #26
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,592
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    Steve suggests a piece of tape over the end of the ruler, wouldn't that throw off the measurement if hundredths of a mm is the kind of effect you are allowing for?
    Yes but it's just a difference (or actually, no difference) you are looking for. The tape must be present for both measurements.


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Yes but it's just a difference (or actually, no difference) you are looking for. The tape must be present for both measurements.
    This would work for checking depth if you can get the measuring stick perpendicular to the ground glass and you can measure all 4 corners as well as the centre with measuring stick perpendicular and you don't push the film back against the holder when you measure, because it will move and is unlikely to be touching film holder all over its area when its in the taking position and you don't apply any pressure because the inside of the film holder flexes really easily as does the film.

    Or to put it mildly, its a ballpark measurement which may be ok for showing 3mm errors, but not very good for getting maximum accuracy over the whole film holder depth which is what you want. Your GG may be on a slope end to end or top to bottom. Especially if someone has been messing with it and is using a stick to set its depth...

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian D View Post
    Thanks all for your instructive, interesting and funny comments! I have ended up doing exactly what Steve suggests, and found that, somewhat ironically, when the GG is placed the correct way round, there is a mismatch of 3mm, yes, 3mm, between the GG surface and the actual film plane in a standard Fidelity holder.

    Its off to the hobby shop for me now, to find some brass or hardwood panel in exactly 3mm thickness... wish me luck!

    Thanks again and keep up the good work... this is a great website.

    Cheers
    Adrian
    Adrian,

    be carefull not to scratch the groundglass when measuring the depth (or T-distance), it is easily scratched.

    A few 100 of a millimeter won't make any difference on the depth of focus. The smaller the format you shoot, the more important it is.
    There is hearsay that on some ULF cameras and filmholders the differences of the T-distance are up to (or over) 1 millimeter!

    The main reason for this is that 4x5" negatives are mostly enlarged and ULF get contact printed (and there is no enlargement of errors...).


    Kind regards,
    Geert

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    Adrian,

    be carefull not to scratch the groundglass when measuring the depth (or T-distance), it is easily scratched.

    A few 100 of a millimeter won't make any difference on the depth of focus. The smaller the format you shoot, the more important it is.
    There is hearsay that on some ULF cameras and filmholders the differences of the T-distance are up to (or over) 1 millimeter!

    The main reason for this is that 4x5" negatives are mostly enlarged and ULF get contact printed (and there is no enlargement of errors...).


    Kind regards,
    Geert
    Well that depends on your viewpoint. The point of using a larger format is to get better resolution and smoother tones in the print through reduced enalrgement. Or for bigger enlargements. If you don't get film plane accuracy as close to small format precision as possible, then you are throwing away some of the benefit. And if you want to enlarge BIG, then you are wasting your time with a larger format if you don't get smaller format precision.
    People seem to think that a big negative will solve everything. Well no it won't. Not if you let sloppy technique and equipment setup ruin it.
    And if its not sharp in the negative, it will never be as sharp in the print as it could be, even with contact prints.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Eastern, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,020
    Images
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Yes but it's just a difference (or actually, no difference) you are looking for. The tape must be present for both measurements.


    Steve.
    duh, of course, my dumb

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin