Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 727

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    Well that depends on your viewpoint. The point of using a larger format is to get better resolution and smoother tones in the print through reduced enalrgement. Or for bigger enlargements. If you don't get film plane accuracy as close to small format precision as possible, then you are throwing away some of the benefit. And if you want to enlarge BIG, then you are wasting your time with a larger format if you don't get smaller format precision.
    People seem to think that a big negative will solve everything. Well no it won't. Not if you let sloppy technique and equipment setup ruin it.
    And if its not sharp in the negative, it will never be as sharp in the print as it could be, even with contact prints.
    Thanks Rob,

you are translating very well what I actually meant.

Thanks,
    Geert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rob Zeichner published an EFFECTIVE article about ground glass alignment: 11-12/96 View Camera.
    (Measuring and shimming is unlikely to get to as good a solution as a film test)

You might contact him for a reprint of none are available from the publisher.

razeichner@ameritech.net

Shooter
    Multi Format

Successful outcome!

Thank you for all the contributions on this matter. The camera is now fully "sorted" for registration, and has had a service on the 207mm Ektar and shutter I'm using on it. It is a joy to use, and i'm really enjoying the contact prints. I'm using Efke 25 ASA film which I find has a pleasing contrasty look to it.

Thanks for all the tips. I will try to post a picture of the camera sometime.

All the best
    Adrian D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While this comment does not address the question you asked, it may be useful information for you and anyone else who needs to replace the ground glass for a view camera.

I accidentally broke the ground glass on a Plaubel 5x7 monorail camera as I was assembling it from its shipping carton. I went to a local framing shop and learned that the non-glare glass they sell for framed photographs comes with the "ground" on either one or both sides. I had the owner cut a piece of the one-sided non-glare glass, and cut off the corners for me while she was at it. It works perfectly and provides a very bright image because the etching is very fine. Cost me all of $2.00 for materials and labor; very much less than for "official" replacement glass via mail order. I finished it by drawing very thin black lines on the ground side with a fine-tip drawing pen.

Rich

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sounds like the previous owner reversed the GG in order to make it easy to write on with pencil. I would reverse it, remove the adjustment strips and verify the distance is correct.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin