Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,593   Online: 1112

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    How close my closest focus for each lens is with bellows fully extedended and also without the final extension. This also tells me magnification factor at that distance and how far across the 'frame' is. This allows me to choose the right lens for a macro shot very quickly.

I also have a scale of mm of focus depth vs f-stop vs diffraction effect as taken from the large format photography article on diffraction. This lets me work out the distance between my two desired end focal points and translate that into an f-stop and also, from diffraction effects, how much I could enlarge the picture.

I've also got a table that tells me the amount of coverage that a grad will give me for each lens I own (e.g. a hard grad on my 80mm lens has 13% of the frame covered by the gradation - however my 240mm lens has 55% of the frame covered by the gradation - not so good for hard horizons.. These are the calculations that convinced me I needed some extra hard grads (which singh ray and lee make on a custom basis) - see http://blog.timparkin.co.uk/2008/04/...-graddage.html for details.

The rest of my sheet is for my own data..

http://blog.timparkin.co.uk/2008/02/...checklist.html

p.s. if you are wierdly OCD like me, feel free to copy the sheet for your own use..
    Thank you for allowing us to copy your sheet. I came up with a design, that was less elaborate and didn't have filter factors.

Sincerely,

Navy Moose
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
    CAPT. John Parker, Massachusetts Militia. 19APR1775

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a wooden ruler that has the bellows extension factors of my two lenses written on it. Hold one end of the ruler on the lens board, and read off what factor is needed at the film plane.

Murray

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Photo Record

I've attached a copy of my record. However, I don't have reciprosity numbers for FP4, it's Delta 100.
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi JOSarff !
    I can't open the Exposure.doc file. I gave a blank page.
    I wonder if it was made on a Mac ?
    Do you have any means to convert it into a PDF or anything else than Word ?
    Thanks !
    P.S. it may be just me and my computer ;-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    JOSaff - Thanks for sharing and posting, but I also can not open the attachment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's my table to determine bellows factor by magnification. It's small, so I have them taped to the backs of all my LF cameras, on my light meter, and in my notebook. To determine magnification just estimate the width of the scene at the subject position and compare to the width of the format, and then use the table to find the bellows exposure factor--works for any format with any camera. For instance, if you're taking a headshot with an 8x10" camera, the distance from one shoulder to the other will be around 24", and the format in portrait mode is 8" wide, so the magnification factor will be 1:3, and you'll need about 2/3 to 1 stop additional exposure. For the same image on 4x5" the magnification factor will be 1:6, so you would need about 1/3 to 1/2 stop additional exposure. If you want to be more precise for higher magnification factors, you can put a ruler in the scene.
    Attached Files
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Having had an ambulance ride a couple of years ago I learned the benefit of carrying a sheet of paper in my wallet and pack, identifying myself, an emergency contact, my doctor, allergies to any medications, the medications I am currently taking. Each hospital station from the emergency room on that information like that allowed them to get to the problem quickly and avoid additional ones. The only difficulty I had was that each station wanted to keep the sheet of paper rather than make a copy and return the original. Had I been unconscious only the first station would have benefited.

A policeman friend has since told me that they are trained to look at cell phone databases searching for emergency contacts. Someone invented the concept of listing these with the letters ICE in front of the name. ICE = In Case of Emergency. Most people just list the names and the emergency people can't tell your wife from your pharmacist.

Hope this saves someone some time when seconds count.

John Powers

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Take 2

I tried saving the file as a .txt and .pdf so lets try again.

Joe
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JOSarff; 05-29-2008 at 01:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks - both of these opened up fine - I do like your idea of putting reference information on the back side of the exposure record.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post

A policeman friend has since told me that they are trained to look at cell phone databases searching for emergency contacts. Someone invented the concept of listing these with the letters ICE in front of the name. ICE = In Case of Emergency. Most people just list the names and the emergency people can't tell your wife from your pharmacist.

Hope this saves someone some time when seconds count.

John Powers
    Yep, I got three ICE numbers in my phone and three in my wallet. It is good advice.

These are all good cheat sheets. Thanks folks.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin