Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,068   Online: 746

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Large format cheatsheets

Hi !
    I'm making a small pocket "book" of all information I will need while on the field.
    What do you bring with you ? The reciprocity tables for your favorite film, filters factors, and what else ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And a zone dial (sometimes I'm to lazy to compute f-stops), a quickdisk...
    Filter factors are written on the box I keep the filter in.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always have a note book with me. But it's filled in the field, not before. I don't usually use times that require reciprocity factors, and the filter factor for my one yellow filter is on the side of the filter if I hit my head on a rock and forget.

The notebook takes note of: date, time, film, how many stops from shadow to highlight, what the Luna pro read incident, and what fstop/time was used for any marked sheetfilm holder/side.

Not very BTZS but it'll do.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesGiralt View Post
    Hi !
    I'm making a small pocket "book" of all information I will need while on the field.
    What do you bring with you ? The reciprocity tables for your favorite film, filters factors, and what else ?
    Mike Walker's Vademecum on an old Palm Pilot. No reciprocity tables, I'm using Acros ;-) . A small Olympus voice recorder for my exposure notes.
    I carry enough as it is ...

Shooter
    35mm
    How close my closest focus for each lens is with bellows fully extedended and also without the final extension. This also tells me magnification factor at that distance and how far across the 'frame' is. This allows me to choose the right lens for a macro shot very quickly.

I also have a scale of mm of focus depth vs f-stop vs diffraction effect as taken from the large format photography article on diffraction. This lets me work out the distance between my two desired end focal points and translate that into an f-stop and also, from diffraction effects, how much I could enlarge the picture.

I've also got a table that tells me the amount of coverage that a grad will give me for each lens I own (e.g. a hard grad on my 80mm lens has 13% of the frame covered by the gradation - however my 240mm lens has 55% of the frame covered by the gradation - not so good for hard horizons.. These are the calculations that convinced me I needed some extra hard grads (which singh ray and lee make on a custom basis) - see http://blog.timparkin.co.uk/2008/04/...-graddage.html for details.

The rest of my sheet is for my own data..

http://blog.timparkin.co.uk/2008/02/...checklist.html

p.s. if you are wierdly OCD like me, feel free to copy the sheet for your own use..

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My cheat sheets have bellows extension, magnification, focusing distances, and bellows factor for my favourite lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wear a tag on my duffle coat that says "Please look after this bear."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a laminated cheat sheet with my tested shutter speeds (a couple of my older shutters are off by nearly a full stop), a table with my filter factors, recprocity tables. I don't find that I refer to it all that often (sometimes not all on a whole shoot), but when the light is right, and I'm exited, things I know well slip right out of my mind...

Peter

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have the filter factors laminated to the filter file pockets. Then I have a card (slip of paper 4.25 X 5.5") I designed 20 years ago with space for title, date, film holder number, development, metered exposure, recommended exposure, bellows factor and filter factor . Then I have check boxes for camera & lens.

On the back is a table of reciprocity numbers for TMX, TMY, TXP, FP4 and HP5.

This prints out 4 on a page and I run it through twice to get both sides printed, then cut into quarters.

Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSarff View Post
    I have the filter factors laminated to the filter file pockets. Then I have a card (slip of paper 4.25 X 5.5") I designed 20 years ago with space for title, date, film holder number, development, metered exposure, recommended exposure, bellows factor and filter factor . Then I have check boxes for camera & lens.

On the back is a table of reciprocity numbers for TMX, TMY, TXP, FP4 and HP5.

This prints out 4 on a page and I run it through twice to get both sides printed, then cut into quarters.

Joe

Would you like to share by posting a sample copy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin