Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,714   Online: 917

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Chamonix 5x7 ???

I am using my rather elderly Arca 5x7, and have a Canham wood 5x7 which I don't use much, was thinking maybe the Chinese guy would be making 5x7s at some point.

How does one contact this dude?

Shooter
    Large Format
    PM sent.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    herb, Hugo is a GREAT guy!

That is all

Jason

JCT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hah-- Jason, wait until you get that Chamonix, you will double your praise.

They are both delightful to work with, Hugo and Chamonix. I also wish that they had a 5x7!

JT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Man, don't rub it in JT! I don't think I can wait until late July!

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Chamonix just lost my respect

Hugo may be a pleasure to work with, but Tiejun is not. I have been getting mixed answers to an _bay question I asked back in May. I have been looking for a 5x7 camera with an International back for a project I am working on. I like the specs on the Chamonix, although I haven't seen one (only pictures on the web).

I asked a question about the 5x8 camera they are selling now. I asked why 5x8 and not 5x7 that will accept 5x7 accessories. I got a reasonable answer stating that 8x10 film is easier to purchase and cut than 5x7 film in China, but that they had made a run of 5x7 cameras. He said they had one left, and would send details.

After waiting over 6 weeks for details, I inquired again about the 5x7. Tiejun's response was that they have not yet designed the 5x7, and had no information.

In the 6 weeks, I could have aquired one of several 5x7 cameras of known quality for less than the 5x8s are selling from Chamonix.

I lose respect when someone is that deceptive.

I am looking elsewhere for a 5x7 camera. I just deleted all Chamonix information from my files.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Why not consider a Canham - about the same price as a Chamonix 5x8, but made in the USA - with good service.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My understanding is that the sales on eBay are unauthorized by Chamonix. They have no connection to Chamonix, other than buying and reselling stock--and Chamonix is unhappy about it, but there's nothing they can do. Hugo works closely with the Chamonix and has been very easy to work with and completely reliable. He'll also offers better deals than the guy on eBay and knows exactly what's in stock and the production schedule. So, Chamonix, a company that makes superb cameras and their official agent, Hugo Zhang, shouldn't be confused with eBay resellers. I hope you find your 5x7, but do yourself a favor and contact Hugo if you want accurate information on the Chamonix.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

I'll keep an open mind - to a point.

After reading that Tiejun may not be a proper representative for Chamonix, I have attempted to send a personal message to Hugo for correct information. His mailbox is full, and he did not receive the mesage. I will try to find out more, and reserve judgement until I hear from Hugo.

After reading all the posts in various forums, the impression is that _bay is the only outlet for Chamonix. If that is not the case, I would rather deal directly with the company. There doesn't appear to be a website, which would make things much easier to understand.

Hugo, if you read this, please contact me regarding the availability of 5x7 cameras.

Thank you all.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Steve,

Not sure if you have his e-mail address or not, but here it is anyways:

hugoz_2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com

As Barry mentioned, it is to my understanding that Hugo is the authorized US dealer.

Best of luck,

Jason

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin