Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,136   Online: 1055

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    On Graflex reliability, I'm very happy with my 60 year old Speed. It's FP shutter works fine, as do many other's I've looked at. I can't say the same for a lot of 1950s 35mm cloth shutter material. The Kalart RF works fine and is adjustable by the user. Everything about the cameras seems to last.

They don't have a lot of features, but are good for basic 4x5 work. I think you would be fine with a Crown, with a kalart, and use shutter lenses.

Graflex cameras were robust and popular with the press in the 20s-60s, and now with photogs in the next century. If they were not good, they wouldn't remain so popular through the generations.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I enjoy having the focal plane shutter (which was the reason I picked up the camera to begin with!) It seems reasonably accurate, I've used it from 1/15th all the way to 1/1000th, and the negatives appear to be what I would expect them to be. I use the speed for barrel lenses, and other lens experiments, I love it! Wish I could get something like that on my 8x10 haha!

I've thought about making a frankenstein, taking the back of a speed graphic, remove the ground glass, and secure it just behind the front standard of an 8x10, and then I'd have an adjustable shutter for any lens on the 8x10! I'm not sure how my exposures would be though, I'd probably need to figure out a new graph of shutter tension and shutter widths.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Start with the Crown: it's important to get started with every advantage (it's much lighter). Then you'll be getting a Speed too so you can play around with funky barrel lenses (like Xenotars or Aero Ektars or pawn shop stuff from the Civil War ...). Then you'll be getting a roll-back ...

easter NY, 2 miles so. of Canadian border
    Shooter
    Large Format
    I have used speed graphics for over 60 years, and have never had a problem with the shutters other than loose screws. Like every other hand held camera, you have to get used to it. I think the speed is faster to use for "grab shots" than my b&j speed press, but the b&j has much more front standard movements. The speed graphic view finder works just as well vertically as horizontally. In the newspaper game, we called verticals "elbow shots", an easy technique to learn once you get the camera and play with it a little.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JLMoore3rd View Post
    The only modern Graflex model with a revolving back was the "Super Speed"... I've never used one, so I'll leave this to others more knowledgeable.
    Not so. Many models of the Graflexes have rotating backs: RB Auto Graflex, Model B, Model C and Model D.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1 View Post
    The Speed's FP shutter is notorious for not working too well and adding a considerable amount of (dead) weight to a camera that was mostly hand-held for press photos. The FP shutter was a good idea that didn't work out too well.
    Stop shoveling it! They work well, They are easy to adjust. They are easy to fix, if necessary. They are not dead weight.

I use the focal plane shutter on my 1928 Graflex Model D and my 1953 Pacemaker Speed Graphic all the time.

The next urban legend you will probably tell us about is the mythical Hasselblad mirror bounce. How about getting acquainted with the facts before posting?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the FP shutter on my speed graphic constantly. I trust it at least as much as in-lens shutters. And it goes to 1000!
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    speeds are great cameras,
    the FP shutters are great as well.
    ( graflex cameras had them for 60+ years )
    i'd pick a speed over a crown any day of the week.
    how else can you use a lens harvested off
    of a junque folder or a magnifying glass lens or a ... ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a crown and switched to a Busch Pressman D for the revolving back, better rangefinder compared with the crown (side RF), and seemingly more precise and durable construction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 2x3 speed and a 4x5 crown.

I am looking for a 4x5 speed specifically to get the FP shutter. The crown top RF is light and fast, but I still want an FP shutter sometimes.

I will not be ditching the crown when I find the speed I want.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin