Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,548   Posts: 1,573,031   Online: 847

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    I prefer the side-mounted rangefinder, as they're easy to calibrate for any lens (see instructions at graflex.org). The top mounted requires cams, which may be hard to find a good match for your choice of lens.

Make sure you get one with a graflok back, not the spring back, that way you can add a roll film back if you should choose. Most, if not all, crowns came with the graflok back, but only the newer speed graphics had them.

Lens boards are easy to come by on ebay... someone was selling brand-new remanufactured boards a while back for cheap, but I don't see any of those online right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djacobox372 View Post
    Make sure you get one with a graflok back, not the spring back, that way you can add a roll film back if you should choose. Most, if not all, crowns came with the graflok back, but only the newer speed graphics had them.
    Good point. I have the Graflok backs on both my 1928 Graflex Model D and my 1953 Pacemaker Speed Graphic. The Model D has a custom made adapter for the Graflok back.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I presently own both a very nice Speed Graphic and a Crown and while I like them both, the Crown gets used about a hundred times more than the speed. In fact, the Crown is easily my most often used, non 35mm camera. I only shoot the Crown Graphic hand held. If I want/need to a tripod, or movements I'll haul out a more appropriate camera for that activity. Yes, you can accomplish most movements with a crown or speed but, it is a hassle and just not fun. If you want to shoot hand held, get a Crown or Speed - it really doesn't matter which they're both great. If you want to use movements get something else and forget about hand held.

Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    - hand-holdable 4x5 environmental portraiture and documentary, industrial, landscape... etc.
    The crown and speed were designed for hand help work. It is how these cameras were meant to be used. They excel at it. I can and very very often do hand hold the crown at 1/50th of a second shutter speed. No problem There are several examples in my flickr stream follow link in signature).

- I don't really need many movements. I would like some tilt and or swing though to create a dreamy look.
    Movements? Dreamy look? Forget that gimmicky shit. If your shooting hand held, just focus and shoot. Documentary, environmental portraiture...these are not "dreamy".

- I'm not going to be using a flash.
    Me either - cannot afford flash bubs. But the flash handle is very...well, handy.

- Basically I want a 4x5 point and shoot rangefinder.
    Get a crown graphic with a well adjusted rangefinder and be happy.

- I have a Fujinon W 135/5.6 lens. Could I get a graphic and use this lens on it? Advantages? disadvantages?
    Yeah, you could...I guess...but, I see no real advantage. The stock optar and Xenar are fantastic. The 127mm Kodak Ektar is even better!

- Do either cameras have a revolving back?
    No...There is no need for a revolving back. Does your 35mm SLR have a revolving back? Hand held...you wanna shoot portrait, hold the camera on its side!

- Which camera or model has the best rangefinder?
    They have the same rangefinder.

- Which one is more suitable for hand-held photography?
    I give a slight edge to the Crown - not only because it is lighter but because they are simpler. Shooting hand held is all about being ready and acting fast. The focal plane shutter adds complexity that can slow you down - especially while you're learning. It is one more thing that you have to think about - or can be. Starting out you do not need this added complexity.

- Would there be advantages to having a focal plane shutter?
    You can shoot with any old lens you find laying on the side walk. Just hot melt glue it to an scrap of card stock of appropriate dimensions and you're good to go (sounds like I'm kidding. I am not - I've done this with ratty old enlarger lenses that I bought five for ten bucks - and gotten surprisingly good results).
    Last edited by BradS; 11-11-2010 at 02:29 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post

Yeah, you could...I guess...but, I see no real advantage. The stock optar and Xenar are fantastic. The 127mm Kodak Ektar is even better!
    I disagree with this.. I upgraded to a more modern fujinon 150mm lens and there was a significant improvement in contrast. Not to mention the shutter being far more reliable.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin