Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,598   Online: 755

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Aggie,
    So, how long have you had the 4x5 camera? You should not expect to be an expert in the use of the camera for a long time. It is radically different from any cameras that are smaller. It might take several years to master. It did for me.

hang in there,
    lee/c

The nice thing about view cameras is you can play with them without film and actually gain something. Use the movements watch what happens on the glass. Get used to the controls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Large format is supposed to be calming and thoughtful not frustrating and violent. Chant OMMMMmmmmmmm while in its presents.\

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds like you tried to learn and do too many things at once. Assuming you already have a loupe, first just practice framing and focusing - Do this with everything squared up and both standards parallel, as if it were a rigid camera. You will get the hang of it. After you are used to that, then experiment with the front or back tilts, but not both at the same time (yet). Then, reset everything to nominal and play with the front rise. Finally, get some Polaroid film and actually shoot things around the house, anything and everything. What I usually do is focus with the lens wide open so things really snap in, and then when I am happy with it, then I stop down and recheck the focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember the first time I used LF nearly 16 years ago....it was like alchemy. There's something really magic about standing in the dark rocking a dish after looking at that great big upside down reversed L to R image - it's even more magical when you manage to get some negs without scratches on-in 2003 I'm getting there. At least the taking part is like breathing now-you've got to think zen-as Bruce Lee said " the highest technique is to have no technique".
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin